Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:05 AM   #1

Okay, need some advice.

My recently purchased Tamron SP Lens takes internal or rear glass filters. They are 43mm in size and apparently when the lens was knew back in 1992 or thereabouts the lens came with four filters (I believe), a normal filter (which is on the lens now) a 2X ND filter, a red and yellow.

I am trying to get some of these filters for the lens and was wanting to know if any 43mm filter could be used or is the Tamron ones the ONLY ones you can use??

Hoping someone here has got a Tamron lens with this sort of filter setup or knows of someone.

Lastly I can buy a 43mm CPL filter but not sure if it would be a good idea to have it there or to bite the bullet and get a 95mm CPL for the front ($30US).

p.s. still waiting for my camera to come back, she is getting a whole NEW viewfinder pentamirror/prism thingy whatsit, the original one started to delaminate :shock:. Next week apparently, I can get out and get some pics with this beastie of a lens.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:19 AM   #2

compare it to another 43mm filter at a store. if the collars are the same size then they should work.. you've got one h*** of a lens there and i'm real envious. i can't wait to see the images from it.

Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:23 PM   #3

Hi crashman,

I can't help with the internal filters -- never owned a lens that used em -- but you never know. . .

About the CPL, though -- I'd think that the external one would be my choice -- how'd you adjust an internal one easily? Also, the extra depth (two rotating rings) would probably preclude finding one that fits (but again, I don't really know).

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:14 AM   #4

Does this help

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:18 AM   #5

I've got a lens that takes internal rear filters, 49 mm though. It takes normal standard filters, you just fit them in a slot type holder and push it inside. I guess the Tamron also takes standard filters, since it would be a bad idea from the producers point of view to start making specially designed filters of all kinds for such a limited number of potential buyers.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6

Thanks guys thats what I wanted to hear. I was told I had to leave the Normal filter in the lens ALWAYS unless replaced by another filter as it would affect the image optics.

That made me think that maybe the Tamron filters also has some sort of lens magnification or focusing quality to them.

Darren I looked at B&H and found they had all of the filters too but at something like $23 US each I started to ask questions.

Then I found this lot

Still haven't made up my mind if the "normal" filter in the lens now is a clear or UV filter, need to drop into my local guy and get him to tell me, all it says is "Tamron Normal Japan"

If So I will get a 95mm UV and a 95mm clear for the front and forget the 43mm drop in ones.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:45 PM   #7

My Pentax 500mm f/4.5 takes 49mm internal filters in the rear, but I almost never have one installed and the optics do not suffer. In fact I personally feel there is some degradation of the image from any filter you use, so why use one if you don't have a use for it?

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote