Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

(My wife said she was going to post this question but I do not believe she did.)

When we turn on the Pentax S55, we notice a little (rectangular) GREEN light on the top, to the left of the ON/OFF button. The light always appears to be ON. We asked someone and they said: "The light is a status light to show when images are being saved. " But, we are not saving pictures at the time the light is ON. We just turn on the camera and the GREEN light goes ON and stays on. Even when we enter the MENU mode. Can anyone explain. We hope nothing is wrong with this camera we just received for our 70th birthday. Thank you.
robert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:23 PM   #2

The salesperson is partially correct. When the camera is busy saving to media, you may see them flashing.

But, the primary use for the red and green LEDs is to let you know when your intended subject is in focus, and when your flash is ready.

If you "half press" the shutter button, when focus lock is achieved, you'll see the green light lit steady. If the camera is unable to lock focus (not enough light or your subject doesn't have enough contrast for the camera to focus), this light will blink.

So, it's a good idea to find a different target to focus on with more contrast that's about the same distance from the camera as your subject is.

Then, half press the shutter button until the green light glows steady, reframe so that your subject is in the desired portion of the frame, and press the shutter button the rest of the way down to take the photo. This is pretty much standard procedure with an Autofocus camera (half press of the shutter button will cause the camera's autofocus to lock on to a subject).

The red lamp indicates whether or not the flash is ready (it will take time to recharge after taking a flash photo). When it's lit steady versus blinking, the flash is fully charged and ready again.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:00 PM   #3

Thank you.

However, I am not talking about the lights on the BACK of the Pentax S55. I am talking about the GREEN light on the TOP of the camera (to the left of the Power ON/OFF button).
robert2 is offline   Reply With Quote