Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 20, 2003, 2:20 PM   #1
Default Pentax 555 or Sony V1

I am about to purchase my first digital camera and I have narrowed down my choices between the Pentax 555 and Sony V1. I am looking for a small 5 megapixel camera. The Sony has a lot of features such as lens adapters, hotshoe, and night photography, that are not available on the Pentax. Have any of you on this board considered the Sony and why did you choose the Pentax. The price difference to me is not significant. Thanks
DRPJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:29 AM   #2
Default Optio 550 or Sony V1

Hi, I also considered both cameras and bought the Optio 550. Having handled both cameras I decided the Pentax suited my lifestyle better as I can carry it in a smallish belt case. I have no doubt that the Sony is generally a more advanced camera but will you really use all those features like night vision etc. I read all the reviews and saw the Sony has some fringing effects and another that heavily criticised the Pentax for underexposure. I don't get that on my Pentax so it must have been a bad sample in the review. Generally I am delighted with the camera (I previously had a 330). I think in terms of sharpness and colour quality the differences are extremely small perhaps colour rendition the Sony is ahead. Another factor is battery life (see reviews of both cameras). The sony seems to have a battery life very similar to my old 330, and that's not much in my opinion- just 40 minutes with the lcd on all the time, whereas the 550 seems to be ranked with the best.
Another factor was the memory card which is SD on the pentax and will go straight into my laptop but I would need a card reader or use usb and a cable with the Sony. Not an important issue but it did sway me!
Hope this helps you but I would advise you to go to a shop and just handle the cameras. Post back if you want more info on the Pentax.
fredog is offline   Reply With Quote