Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:03 PM   #1

My Pentax Optio M20 will not stay turned on. Pressing the On button, the shutter tries to expand then focus. Screen show auto picture and Green Mode then it shuts down. Any ideas? I have replaced batteries and also SD card free space.
tsgis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 4:26 PM   #2

My M20 is doing the same thing. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
kevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3

This is almost a year after the original post, but I just got an M20 and it won't start up on fully charged 2000mah NiMH batteries. On alkalines, it has a short battery life. Sent it back to the factory, they said it was checked and set to factory specs. Came back with the same issue. When the alkalines got down to 1.4v each (2.8v total) the camera said "battery depleted". My NiMH batteries were fully charged to 1.38v (nominal rating is 1.2v), not enough to keep the camera on, so I think it's the camera.

Interestingly, I just saw that GE 735 & 835 models (7 & 8 mp) have a similar problem and they have a simple firmware update. I suspect the same problem is with the M20, but Pentax says to use 2500mah NiMH batteries (which won't increase the voltage so I have my doubts) but I haven't bought new ones yet. Pentax suggested to use AA litiums, which are long lasting, non-rechargable but expensive.

If anyone else reads this, and has any suggestions or more info on NiMH batteries for this camera, please post.

cpusrvc is offline   Reply With Quote