Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:40 PM   #1
Default [b]Nightshots using Optio S4[/b]

Has anyone tried taking nightscene shots using this camera? I seem to keep getting blurry pictures and unlike my Canon S230, this won't let me change the shutter time. (Canon let me select a shorter shutter time to capture good nightscene shots without the prolonged 4 sec shutter time that exaggerates any camera shaking.) Pentax told me that there's nothing I can do except to use a tripod.

To me it seems ridiculous to lug around a tripod that's heavier than the camera itself! I've seen some nice shots on www.dpreview.com but don't know what settings are being used to capture such clear shots.

Any suggestions?

ac190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2003, 6:48 PM   #2

Hi Annie. In fact, there is no solution for this. You can try to focus manually while setting the metering to spot. This will ensure that you can have a clear focus and get the meter from a light source to reduce exposure time.

Regards, Ricardo.
Ricardo Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 3:13 AM   #3

Hi, I've got the same problem with my optio s4, surely there must be a solution for this???
I mean im not looking for photo perfect shots using night mode, but at the moment the night mode is absolutely useless. When I take a picture with it, the colours are all blurred.

Any help would be veryyyyyyyy appreciated

edmundli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:32 AM   #4

Use tripod people! Or at least some sort of camera support. In Night Mode S4 can easily select a 1sec shutter. No wonder if hand-held you get blurry pictures because of hand shake. Choosing shutter timer also helps to avoid additional jolt when shutter button is pressed. The old rule of thumb - anything slower that 1/60-1/30 shouldn't be hand held. This applies to any camera film or digital and esepcially to such a small and light one as S/S4.

When used properly S4 can take decent to good night pictures. Just check sample from Steve's review on this site or other reviews like Megapixel.Net.
albau is offline   Reply With Quote