Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Nov 21, 2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Default Optio S vs. Optio S4

I'm about to purchase one of these two cameras but not sure what's the best deal.
I don't need 4 MPs but was hoping there would be some other advantages to the newer model.
The reason I didn't purchase the Optio S arleady is because of my dislike for the buttons on the back. Have they been improved on the S4? Battery life? Picture quality?
If the only improvement is the image size, I would probably just go with the Optio S.

Anyone know what the major differences between the two are, and if it's worth the money?
Zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:52 PM   #2

As far as I know the only real difference between S and S4, besides the bump in resolution, is shot-to-shot speed that's much faster on S4 (due to added buffer). I've tried S and at max resolution you have to wait for something like 5+ seconds while it writes image to the card unti alllowing for the next shot. S4, according to most reviews, solved this problem. For me that alone warranted getting S4 over S epsecially since price difference isn't that big. The rest including button layout seems to be the same. Only S4 has slightly different color.
albau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Default S4 much sharper as S3 !?

Dear Optio S fans,

I have noticed that the S4 makes much sharper pics. You can compare S3 and S4 pics here:

So can anyone explain this phenomenon ? Did Steve just get a bad S3 model ?
I believe the lens is the same and the 4Mpix should not make the difference neither. So it must be the Software or an improved circuit. Maybe a better compression algorithm Ė compression ratio is about the same in both cams. Any suggestions ?

Is there firmware upgrade available for the Optio S ? I do have version V 1.00

I own a Optio S and I am thinking about bying the S4 to get sharper pics. Donít care about the 3Mpix

Markus Hofbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:34 AM   #4

Did you notice that comapred to S both S4 pics have a visible softness bordering on outright bluriness in upper left corner?
albau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:44 PM   #5

The corner focus/softness in this case was prevalent on the S4, but in many cases you will find it on either or both cameras.

I suspect it has to do with the mechanics of snapping the lens in place and repeatability of this function. On my Optio S, I've sometimes had the issue in the lower left and right corners, but it's not always like that.

The problem with tiny cameras which try to go 3x zoom and fit a tiny form factor is that some compromises in both lens and mechanics must invariably result.

Both are great little cameras with tremendous functionality and one can always crop away the corner areas if it's a serious issue for a shot. The great portability makes the Optio S my favorite to carry in my shirt pocket for those candid opportunities.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote