Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:46 PM   #1
Default Pentax Optio 33 WR big problems on two cameras

In January 2004, I purchased a Pentax Optio 33WR camera.

Over the past month and few days, I have used the camera quite extensively with a variety of lighting conditions. I have taken over 600 shots over four specific periods and have printed 10-20 shots per session. I noticed right away a problem with faces, especially around the cheek, showing green colourations . Then I noticed that darker areas that are reflective showed a very large amount of colour distortion with green and with red. Now, most every shot that I take seems to have these distortions.
I took the camera back to Blacks and they gave me a new one sayng that they did not know what was doing it, but that a camera like this should not be doing this.

I took out the new camera with high expectations for some great shots. When I went to develope these pictures, I kept some untouched on the camera, some were altered in ACDsee and some altered in photoshop. It didn't make any difference, the photos came back again full of colour distortion.

This is the second camera with the same problems. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with this camera?

Here are some examples from the first camera:

Here are some examples from the second camera:

Thank you for any help that you can give.

A frustrated guy that can't get his camera to work.
Steepcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:56 AM   #2

They look 'washed out." Sorry, couldn't "resist" (anyone get the Rush reference? how about my name?). Wish I could help you. Nice 'yak pics, though. I considered this camera, too. Aren't a lot of options for paddling/fishing, etc, except for the old disposable films. One company, (Canon?) makes a retrofit H2O proof case that covers the camera for certain models. May be an option if you decide to return this one. I think it's expensive, though.

Good luck. Gotta admit, it is nice to capture a run like that, even if the colors aren't perfect. Where is it?
alph seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:19 PM   #3
Default The speed is a serious issue

We don't get all that washed out in the sport, but these pictures do lack depth and as such are washed out. I've tried the P setting the Portrait setting (fastest), the Snap setting and the water/snow setting. The colour problems seem to show up under all of the settings. The Rep is saying that I am trying to go about getting the action shot frozen the wrong way, but didn't explain the right way either. Soo, the next question is, how can I get at least a 1/250 speed on this camera without the colour distortion????? Any takers?
The rep said don't up the iso to 400 and to not focus on the white. Using his logic, fastest speed I could get from the camera was 1/100 on a clear day without direct sunlight. Kayak all blured,but little colour abberations.

For your info, all the pics are from Vancouver Island Creeks.

Again, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Steepcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:29 PM   #4

I've had the 33WR for about two months now and haven't noticed any color problems with mine. Looks like quite a demanding situation for any camera though.

Several possible solutions come to mind. (hopefully you haven't tried them already) Try boosting the in camera contrast and or color saturation if that is the look you are aiming for. (or do it in photoshop)

Also use manual white balance or shade white balance. Failing that try over exposing by 0.3 or 0.7 EV.

If you set the shutter speed to 200 you should be able to get faster results without much noise.
arbutusq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Default Suggested fix or at least try it for kayak photo problem

I had a look and can see why you're not happy.

I personally would not use any of the subject specific modes at all. Definitely don't use the 'snap' mode--what that mode does is disable autofocus, set the lens for a small aperture, and rely on depth of field--that pretty much guarantees a slower shutter speed, but does mean very fast response to the shutter button, since there is no delay for focusing.

I would suggest setting the ISO to 200, which is the highest setting where noise is not seriously bad. Set saturation and contrast to the lowest setting--you can always increase these using an image editing program, but once you've lost information in the original shot by having them set to medium or high, you cannot get it back. Your example photos look to me like what I would expect if saturation and perhaps contrast were set to high. Set sharpness to either the lowest setting or maybe to medium, but I would never set it to high, for similar reasons--you can sharpen using unsharp mask in Photoshop or other editors, but cannot unsharpen excessive sharpening and get reasonable results. Set the image quality to three-stars fine mode. Set the autofocus area to spot, so you can always tell where the focus point is going to be, and leave metering on matrix, which almost always seems to work well, at least on my camera. Set digital zoom to off--digital zoom is just in-camera cropping, and seriously degrades image quality.

For each shot, aim so the subject is centered and is in the focusing brackets, press the release until the camera focuses and sets exposure, then reframe the shot if you need to and press the button the rest of the way. You can review the shot immediately, and (especially if you have turned Quick Zoom on in the set-up menu) zoom in to 8X to see how details look. Zoom back out by pressing OK or the preview button.

With the ISO set to 200, in normal daylight you should be getting shutter speeds of about 1/500 second or so, which should be plenty to freeze water, etc. Even at 100, you should still get about 1/500 or 1/250.

I hope this helps--if it doesn't, maybe you really have had the bad luck to get 2 defective cameras.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:12 AM   #6

Ross, forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "leave metering at matrix"? On the Optio 33WR the metering choices are "multi-segment", "center-weighted" and "spot". Would "multi-segment" be the same as "matrix"? Thx!...
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:04 AM   #7
Default Matrix = multi segment metering

Yes, sorry, I always think of it as matrix but Pentax calls it multi-segment metering. Same thing.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:34 PM   #8

I have a problem with mine as well, It won't turn on! I just bought it, installed the batteries correctly, pressed power and

the light came on for four seconds and then went off, every time!
uttercameran00b is offline   Reply With Quote