Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:09 PM   #1
Default Need advise....OptioS or S4 vs NIKON 3700

I am bout to buy a digital cam, i want a small one, light and easy to carry. Iam confused about the potencial of these three, OptioS, S4 or Nikon Coolpix 3700. Who can help me? Thanks all of you.
Vasco DIas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 5:15 PM   #2

I looked at all three of these cams and settled on the coolpix because of this..
I found the coolpix to be a really nice size and weight.
The video mode on the coolpix is far superior to all the below models which I absolutely love and was one of my pre-requisites with my cam purchase. The nikon has a 3 shot mini burst type feature which I have used extensively and believe will be awesome for sport activities. I find the camera to be very intelligent and you will have some sort of warning any time you are going to take a shot that won't be perfect.. I have been very pleased with the 700 or so shots that I have taken so far and look forward to taking many more. Read all relevant reviews on dpreview, dcresource and this site and make your own mind up. Get a list of criteria and see if they are met, then go to a store and have a play with em.
Good luck!
boics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 4:00 AM   #3

I just got the Nikon 3700 because:

It has a beatfifull 135,000 pixal LCD monitor.
It can take movie clips at up to 640X480 resolution at 30 fps continous until memory is full (not 30 seconds like in some other cameras) with sound.
It has a very graphical user menu with 15 scene settings.
It can take time lapsed movies.
It takes very good macro shots.
It takes excellent sunset shots.
It can record 6 hours of audio.
The Nikon 3700 now has a focus assist light for low light shots, something Nikon needed badly that was lacking in their earlier models.
yubtseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:57 PM   #4

The S4 is selling cheaper than the S in the US and is a better camera. Maybe not so in Portugal.

4Mp is a little skimpy for me and 3 is unfortunately unacceptable. Otherwise I would probably have bought the 3700. I know it isnít a movie camera but it is often all you have with you and the 3700 takes terrific movies . But 4Mp makes a marginal 13 X 19 but decent 11 X 14. 3Mp would be marginal for 11 X 14 and I like printing nice shots to hang on the wall.

I also bought the S4 because I wanted something really small to carry with me all the time, and the 3700 is a little larger. Still small but larger.

The S4 has an interval mode, super macro mode, manual focus, good low light focus, custom user modes, larger LCD and is a little faster. The 3700 has a good burst mode which the S4 lacks, 4X zoom and really good movies. The S4 has a real time histogram in shooting mode. I use the histogram in my two EVF cameras, but donít shoot with the LCD that much. The battery life is better on the 3700. Iíve come to trust Eagleís replacements and will carry a spare S4 battery from them for $20 Ė otherwise you probably couldnít fill a 256Mb card with it.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 6:30 AM   #5
Default I own a Nikon 995 and Pentax OPtio 4si

It depends what is important to you.

Pentax Advantages

1) Remote
2) Video Out
3) Smaller
4) Good Macro mode to like nikon
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote