Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:42 PM   #1
Default ? Way to put a polarizer on the front of a Pentax Optio 555?

The Pentax Optio 555 is a great camera except there is no filter capability. Has anyone solved this dilemma? I wish to use a polarizing filter (and perhaps InfraRed someday), Thanks in advance. -Dizzy
DizzyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:37 AM   #2

I have a Optio 555 and I just picked up a Cokin's FilterFast kit. It includes a filter holder that screws onto the tripod mount and 2 filters, a star filter and a sunset filter. There are more then 80 filters for this system, including a linear polarizer and a circular polarizer. Here is the URL for the FilterFast. http://www.cokin.com/ico10-p0B-AN.html
KennyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:16 PM   #3

I now use these for my pocket cameras as a polarizer:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226 I used my Polaroid glasses for years but they weren't true color like the Nikons.

I've compared shots holding my Minolta circular polarizer in front of the lens and the Nikon glasses are at least as good. I always wear polarized sunglasses because I boat and fish. It is quick and easy to just put them in front of the lens. I'm not crazy about the sunglasses though as I prefer glasses that bend around to keep light from coming in from the side. My good fishing glasses have a lens coating on the inside as well, but the curvature and color make them inappropriate for using as a filter. I paid an extra $10 to get the titanium Nikons and they are incredibly light – you can wear them all day and not notice them. Kalypso posted a nice shot he got with some wraparound polarized glasses on this thread, so it is obviously possible:

I just ran out back and grabbed these two shots. The land and water is dark because I'm metered on the clouds, but you can see there is no color shift and it works well for both water and clouds. You can tell I didn't take a long time with the polarized shot by the boat moving from right to left still in the scene. He was making good speed. The first is without the glasses and the second with them.

These are blowups to pixillation for the two shots of the passing boat. The first with the police boat going the other way is unpolarized and the second near the dock is polarized. The boat was closer to me in the first shot. You can see that the camera didn't have a focus problem and that the resolution wasn't affected enough to be significant:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote