Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 10, 2004, 1:59 PM   #1

Hi All,

I ordered a Pentax Optio S4 from an online retailier which was delivered to me today. I open the box to find I had been sent a S40.

I`ve beenchecking online and this camera is more expensive. I really wanted the smallness of the S4, but is it worth me keeping the S40?

kpgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 11:13 PM   #2

I have compared the S4 and S40 "back to back". The S40 is only slightly bigger that the S4 and in my opinion has better handling as a result. It also helps thatthe controls are better laid out on the S40.

The optical quality of both cameras is about the same as you'd expect given that they use the same lens but the S40 has the following problems that the S4 doesn't have.

1) The flash takes a few seconds to charge after every time it is used and during
this time the screen is black and the camera inoperable. The S4's flash recharges almost instantly so this is not an issue for the S4.

2) The sound recorded for voice memos or movies on my S40 is much quieter
than on the S4 so that when I play back on my TV I have to turn the volume
right up which also increases hiss (turning up the playback volume on the
S40 causes distortion). And, if this is not bad enough, there are terribly
loud "pops" every time the sound clip starts and finishes or any button is pressed (eg. zoom, next image, etc).

I wonder if my S40 might be faulty and I am considering returning it for replacement especially as Steve's review makes no mention of these issues. (Care to comment Steve?)
ndi is offline   Reply With Quote