Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:15 PM   #1
Default Pentax Optio 230 and its dislike for Verbatim

Have recently sold a prntax Optio230 and a 64mb verbatim CF card. Sure enough the customer returned it twice with the same problem with the same brand card which was exchanged for a new one. finally we changed to a kodak memory and so far so good.

The Problem was thei, he would fill the card download the images from the camer to the PC via the included cable with the included software and then the he would format the card ready for the next set of photos and bam the camera would give a card error.

This card we tried in several cameras after this episode and was genuinly stuffed, the canon a40 we tested it in would not even turn on ?? card readers would not see it etc.....

So we exchanged it for a kodak and so far so good.

Did we just get a faulty batch or does the camera just not like the verbatim media?

genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:20 PM   #2
Default pentax and verbatim cfs

just a thought....was the verbatim cf formatted in/with the camera or windows xp??

some sites report using xp on cfs can render them useless...some cfs revive if they can be re-formatted in the camera.

[Edited on 7-15-2002 by mirage]

[Edited on 7-15-2002 by mirage]
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 7:03 AM   #3

The problem you described can only be found on cameras with Firmware version V1.0. An update for V1.1 is available on different pentax websites, for example here: http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/info...rmware01e.html

If you install the update there will no longer be problems with certain CF cards. Try it! Furthermore Pentax has improved the white balance with the update.

Regards from Germany
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:47 PM   #4
Default optio problems

I had a similar problem with my Optio 330. After about three months, the menu button stopped working intermittently although the camera would still take photographs. I decided that this must be a software design problem, returned the camera for a refund and am looking for something else. I have lost confidence in Pentax as a product and was also very disappointed with the manual - which was very brief and not at all helpfull. I also think that a camera of this price should have a focus assist light and a sound recording facility.
dr_snappy is offline   Reply With Quote