Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1

Two new Pentax cameras were announced today:

Optio S5i

HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:47 PM   #2

And I guess that you didn't bother looking on my Breaking News page for this news before posting links to DP Review? I don't mind you guys posting links to the friendly competition but this is Steve's Forums not DP Review's Forums...

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 1:43 AM   #3

Hi Steve,

Sorry for that. I did indeed look at the breaking news page before posting but when I saw the pagefull ofbuttons not showing to any news, I thought that was it. I did not expect to have to scroll down to find the topic of the page. It won't happen again!

HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 1:01 PM   #4

I have an Optio S4 and it doesn't appear they improved on the two shortcomings I find in the camera.

No manual mode. I like manual mode for some things and miss having that.

The panorama mode doesn't lock the exposure and there is no other way to do that. You have to use sophisticated stitching software that evens out the exposures. I prefer the quick stitching of programs that don't have to do that. Someone suggested you can use continuous shooting mode that does lock the exposure, but that isn't as good as a properly designed panorama mode or manual.

The Optio X looks pretty neat though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:24 AM   #5

It Seems that the S5i and X besides competing with other brands compete with each other.

The s5i seems to have mostly added resolution and minor design changes: It maintains its 1.8 inch medium res 85k display, wireless remote, tripod mount, video out.

The X kicks almost every feature up a notch a bit thinnner (like it was too fat 2 Inch high res 210K pixel rotating display/body ala Nikon 9xx series, tripod mount, video out etc. **The only thing it seems they left out was the wirless remote or any, I think that is a mistake on Pentax's part.

It looks like a winning pair Hopfully they can increases the quality control so there are no bad samples.

I am still happy with my S4i.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote