Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:19 AM   #1

I have got a Pentax Optio 555. Apart the size of the photo I take in pixels, the resolution is always 96 ppp (in both vertical and horizontal). How can I change this resolution to 150 ppp or 300 ppp as in the digital cameras of Cannon (for example). I would be grateful for a help on this. Thank you very much.
jaferlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2004, 9:52 AM   #2

The dpi flags you see have nothing to do with the resolution of the image. Theseare onlyflags that some editors use for viewing of a photo.

Most cameras actually set them to 72 dpi (which shows you an extremely large image size on screen). As long as you don't check any resample boxes, you can change these flags to anything you want for onscreen viewing, and still maintain the full resolution image for sending to the printer.

The actual resolution you print at will depend on the print size. For example, if you print a 5x7" print from a 2592 x 1944 resolution image (the 5 megapixel image size your camera produces), you'd end up with around 370 pixels per inch, or PPI (you'd have to crop the photo's short side to fit). 2592 pixels / 7 inches = 370 pixels per inch (sometimes expressed as DPI for Dots Per Inch, but the correct term is PPI for Pixels Per Inch, since the printer resolution in DPI may be higher, using multiple dots to represent a single pixel).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote