Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:37 AM   #11

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try tonight.
donka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:33 AM   #12

Seems to work pretty well - pretty much as a standard point and shoot camera which is great for parties etc. with poor lighting. Thanks for the tip on that - the SV is a keeper for me now.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:47 PM   #13

My son just took a new Optio SV on a trip to Morocco for 2 weeks. He loved it. I've seen the pics and they look to be excellent quality. He did express some problems focusing in low light since they tried to take a lot of pics indoors without flash. He had a new fast SD card and said there was no issue with shot-to-shot delay. At first he had a regular speed SD card that he got with the camera and he did complain about the delay being 4 seconds or so.

I'm curious to hear comments from other new users about this camera as now I'm thinking of buying one rather than a bulkier 10x-12x ultra-zoom camera (e.g. Canon S1 IS, Panasonic, Minolta, Olympus). The combination of 5MP and 5x optical zoom in a compact form factor seems ideal. I'm not a pro, but I take a lot of pics of all types when we travel 4-5 times a year.
newtuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:48 AM   #14

Personally I really like this camera although I have a few minor issues although I'm hopeful a couple of them can be resolved in a firmware upgrade...

Low light focusing - this camera could really benefit from a AF assist lamp as my old Canon Ixus beats the SV hands down in this area.

Image quality while generally very good, doesn't quite seem as crisp as that I feel a 5mp image should be. That being said the prints thatI make on my Canon IP5000 printer come out superb and I guess the image quality offered is more than adequate for A4 photo prints.

Auto ISO. In P mode this defaults to Auto everytime and you need to manually overide this - Auto normally seems to go with a value of 200 which generates noise when a value of 50 is more than adequate and produces a much cleaner image. I have mapped one of the function buttons to ISO to quickly change this. I wish this would save the last used value for this item when you power on in P mode.

Otherwise I'm happy with this camera until another 5x optical zoom camera in a similar form factor comes on the market that improves on the areas I have listed above.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:00 AM   #15

Lemmy wrote:

Maybe I ask this question in the wrong forum, but any help wpuld be apreciated.

I have had my Pentax Optio for one week now, but I am a little dissapointed of the picture quality.

I use highest resolution and best Qua (2560 and***).

First thing that came to my mind is, why the same SD card as used in my older Optio s4i could now store twice as many pictures???????????...in best quality of a %M camera compared to the 4M of the Optio s4i.

Looking through the pictures - some from outside others inside the house - I find them not as detailed as on my older 1.3M Sony!! When you enlarge them they get "unclear" - not as sharp.

For example if I look through them in MS Photo Editor, the properties tell me, that my new pictures taken with the Optio SV is 72 dpi, and the older pictures from a lower quality Sony camera is 180 dpi....

I don't get it!!

Could someone please tell me, if I do something wrong.

Thank you.

Help!! Please :? I bought my Pentax back in January and I'm really disappointed with it I'm not a photographer soI presume that it's something I'm doing wrong, and not a fault of the camera.

My problems arise when I take photo's indoors. I've posted a photo of a friendtaken indoors,under flourescent light, using the P function,and as you can see, the photograph is verypixelated (is that even a word?).

Can any of you experts give me some pointers - what can I do to improve the quality of my indoor pics??

By the way, I don't have any problems taking photo's outside. They come out brilliantly.

MiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:24 AM   #16

1. Would the shutter-lag and shot-shot time of the Optio SV be improved by using faster SD cards e.g. SanDisk Ultra II?

2. Also would the built-in "sharpness" & "saturation" controls improve the picture quality? In my older Optio 430RS, they do improve the quality in some situations.

Judging from the file sizes (Optio SV 5Mpixel~ 1.5MB vs Optio 430RS 4Mpixel ~ 2.5MB, and the sample fotoes, I agree that the SV is producing less sharp images than most other card-sized DC's nowaday. I don't believe the standard JPEG algorithm would compress fotoes to smaller size than other DC. Pentax must have stripped off more details than other DC to make the file smaller. I strongly urge Pentax to release a new firmware to compensate for the deficiency (I haven't seen any firmware update for SV in a almost a year).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote