Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:03 AM   #1

I have an Optio 550 and I think it's a great camera in many respects, but whenever I take flash photos, particularly indoors, I end up with pretty harsh, grainy images with unflattering flesh tones.

This is especially pronounced when compared to my friend's Canon Ixus compact camera, which is very old (digitally speaking) and only 3MP, but produces wonderfully warm pics of humans under indoor flash conditions.

I suspect that mine might be defaulting to an inappropriate white-balance setting or I've got something set to the wrong level....

Anyone got any ideas??

GlobalRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:50 AM   #2

Try setting your ISO speed to a lower value, versus leaving it on Auto ISO. This will reduce noise (similar to film grain). This will also have the impact of reducing your flash range some.

You may also want to try reducingthe in camera settings for sharpening and contrast.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:39 AM   #3

Always follow this rule which is particularlyimportant underlow light conditionswith minature size lens cameras:

Don't use the zoom if you can make a step closer to the object. You will catch more light and get a lower ISO (on auto ISO mode) for better pictures.

HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote