Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:17 PM   #1

When I connect my S5i to the USB port and turn it on, the computer crashes. I am running windows 98SE. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:13 AM   #2

Hey Patrol,

Here are some suggestions.

Check the cameras setup menu to be sure the cameras "USB Connection" is set to PC and not "PictBridge".

Power Camera "On" and Push the "Menu" button.

Push the "Right Arrow" button 3x to enter "Setup".

Push the "Down Arrow" button until you see "USB".

Push "Right Arrow" button to change between "PC" and "PictBridge" and select PC.

Push the "Center OK" button twice.

Now connect the camera to computer and power it on.

Possible Device Conflict:

If you had a "Kodak - Easy Share" installed, then remove all traces of it.

Possible Software Conflict:

If you have antivirus software such as Norton or Symantec, then I would suggest that you (Dissable Auto Protect) then try connecting the camera again. It's possible that your antivirus software is recognizing the camera as an intruder.

Also if you havea Firewall you may have to go into it's configurationtogive you camera acess. I know that the followingFirewalls always tend to causeconflicts (Freedom or ZoneAlarm). If you don't know how to configure it to give the camera access, I would suggest that you call or e-mail the manufacturer of the Firewall for support.

Alternatively, you could try connecting the camera to a different USB Port. In most cases ifthe Firewall is causing the conflict it will ask you if you would like to grant the camera acess when it is first detected. A "Blah, Blah, Blah," noticeshould appear on you screen. At that point you could allow the camera to be recognized by the Firewall and all is fine.

Well I hope this helps,

Keep me posted,

Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote