Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:33 PM   #1

Hello all,

It's about time I upgrade from my first digicam (Pentax Optio 230) and am considering the two cams mentioned above.

What I am confused about is which one produces better quality images. I have read the review and looked at the sample pics of the S5i and they very much meet my needs. My concern is that I will miss the extra zoom if I go with the S5i.

I notice on Pentax's website that they offer an underwater housing for the S5i and that makes me happy but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Basically, I am looking for someone to point me towards a review of the SV or push me in either direction. I go to Jamaica on Feb 7th and would like a new cam by then.
Thanks for all your help!

mattcxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:51 PM   #2

The SV has more zoom and is more expensive. If you need more zoom, go for it. The camera is a bit bigger than the S5i, but is pretty small for that zoom.
Mark Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:05 AM   #3

Hey Mattcxii,

Steve also reviewed the Optio SV. I've included the link below.

Optio SV Review.

Both cameras are great.

If you want a small point & shoot camera that takes great pictures and don't need the manual options that the Optio SV offers then the Optio S5i is it!

However, if you want to be able to change the shutter speed, then you should consider the Optio SV.

If you are worried obout the aditional zoom youshould have a look at the link below.

If you purchase the PF-DS1 (Additional Accessory) for Pentax Optio (S) series cameras, you canconnectyour camera toa Spotting Scope.

Hope this helps,

Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:10 PM   #4

I own a Pentax SV, Iam satisfied I chosed the Pentax SV at last. It really takes me lots of time to consider which one is better.

Manual option and 5x optical zoomare very good. (You know the SONY F717 is a 5x optical zoom too.)

By the way, I never use picture modes when shooting photos, just use manualmode. Also I found using manual option can improve the quality of photo. That's the strongpoint S5i never has.
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote