Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:37 AM   #21

I'd also sent my camera to Pentax - and their offer for repairing it was a stumbling 170€, too :shock:. I've talked to the technician at Pentax and asked him, if there is no way for a full factory reset to solve the problem, but he insisted that it's a hardware defect and so the board has to be changed. And btw, I should never trust anybody on the internet as this stuff usually does not work...
When I read your info about the hidden menu I immediately went to Hamburg and got my camera back without repair - a few button presses later, it worked again
I directly showed it to the technician, who simply said that there is still a hardware defect and the error can occur any day again. Well, I did quite some shots now and it still works ok and I actually do not believe that it will occur soon. And if - I now know how to solve it.
I'm a bit pissed about Pentax as IMHO they should at least tell you about the possibility of the firmware reset+update. At least if one clearly states that 170€ is far too much for repairing such an old camera. But they keep quiet and hope that you buy a new modell instead...

Many thanks to Phélin who made many Optio S owners very happy!

P.S.: I hope that there'll be some solution for RETrACE, too - I touch wood!
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:38 AM   #22

Excellent piece of advice mate - thanks, much appreciated.

I had to scratch around though to finf the magical "System initial"- for others looking for it, it is on the second level under something like "FLASH ROM"so just drill down and you'll find it. Then go onto the instructions below...

Using the down toggle of the OK button, go to "SYSTEM INITIAL" and press OK. Press another OK to re-initialize your camera.

Saved me a lot of running around!
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:31 AM   #23

It's worked perfectly !
I think i could put my optio on the trash.. and no ! Thx a lot !
QwesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:40 AM   #24

THANKS YOU Phélin ! I am using Pentax Optio S,A90 displayed for months....
I can reach the secret menu and find the 'SYSTEM INITIAL' in 'ROM UPDATE'.

After initialization, andperformed the version updated with 'fwdc110p.bin'... The screen showed

VER 1.01 for a while and showed A90 again.

What can I do now?
(press menu + flash button and hold, then press power on to reachthe 1st page of thesecret menu)

I've checked the FW UPDATE inside the ROM UPDATE, it shows:

Is there any influences? thank you.
kkwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:46 PM   #25

Thanks Phelin, the A90 fix works fine on the OptioS. I returned my camera to
Pentax and they gave me an estimate of $100 for the repair
of a "broken circuit board"; I had them return the camera unrepaired
and applied your procedure.

n2ubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:35 PM   #26

Phelin, please HELP ME!

I've a Optio S, I've downloaded the fwdc110p.bin file.
Then I use your instruction step by step.
REsult: the camera still display A90.

so: after have initialized the camera in the secrete menu, i power off, insert the sd card with the bin file an then press menu+power.
the lcd monitor displays "VER 1. 01" and after some seconds diplasy again A90 (i hate it).

please do you have any suggestion? did i do something wrong?

Luca (from ITA)
lucagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:44 PM   #27

Hi Lucagi & kkwong,

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert at these camera troubleshoots...just a simple guy not wanting to give in to corporate excuses at Pentax of sending it back like those who we're told that the board had to be replaced (for 160Euros) or like at Pentax Canada, where the technical support number is being answered by the janitor.

Although I'm amazed at this particular product (would easily recommend it to anybody), the fact that every technical support representative we're not commenting on the link between A90 and the firmware of the camera made me suspicious enough to seek my own solution to the problem. Everything I found on the net...just gathered all the info together for you folks out there in the same situation.

It worked right away for mine and has been up and running as normal ever since, aside from the fact I had to re-program the whole unit to my personal taste. Seemed to have worked for many others on this forum also (perhaps many more).

Now both of you seem to have the same problem here and it is very difficult to see if the whole steps were followed or not. Since I did not come across the same problem as yours, it will be very difficult for me to help you here. Maybe you guys want to make sure that the SYSTEM INITIAL has been successfully completed...this is of utmost importance here prior to re-installing the file. Also make sure you're using theproper file. And Lucagi, I didn't remove my SD card during the whole process...this theoretically should not affect anything but we never know.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Phélin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:11 AM   #28

I understand, and thanks again.
I follow your instruction step by step, but something goes wrong.
I tried both with the sd inside and outside during SYSTEM INITIAL.
I also tried saving the file onto the inside memory of the cam but nothing.

So, pherhaps, I'll have only to bring it to the pentax service (sigh!) and spend a hundred euros (sigh!).

One question: do you pherhaps find also old firmware file (i.e. version 1.00)? i thought that starting from first firmware could help.

If anyone reading the forum has suggestions please help me?

lucagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:21 PM   #29

come on guys !

i am having trouble with my Optio S5i camera.
i cannont enter the secret menu like Optio S

i think that for optio S5i it's another way to enter the secret menu.

can anyone halp me ?
RETrACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:51 AM   #30

Awesome! Thanks Phélin. My Pentax OptioS had the A90 problem after just under 2 years of reliable operation. Seems suspicious that there are so many complaints of this error with the OptioS.
Apart from this error I have been completly happy with my Optio and have had no other problems.
Optio-as-Altoids is offline   Reply With Quote