Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:56 PM   #1

Hi,

I bouigth a Pentax Optio S40 and shot a few snaps, I then removed the battries and kept it in the carrying case. Following that whenever I insert the battries it switches on but immediately displaies a message of battery depeleted and shitches off.

I tried putting in recently charged battries, it comes on but the moment I leave the camera unused of a few days (taking the battery out to prevent damage by leaking battries). It results in this problem.

Its a brand new camera and I am very disappointed with it as I brought it abroad and do not have a services center to go to where I stay.

Any suggestions or hel[ is greatly apprecioated.

Thanks
rkumarblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:20 PM   #2
Administrator

See this topic:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=24

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks, this was really useful. and the link to the battries and charger section was very useful.
rkumarblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:16 PM   #4

I have the same problem, but I'm using NiMh batteries. I put a whole bunch of them on a computerized battery analyzer, and they are just fine. However, I get "battery depleted" after only minutes of use, despite the batteries being well charged, and able to provide 600mAh more of juice at over 1.2V per cell. Sometimes new batteries don't work at all.

If I jarr the camera (hit it with one hand while holding it in the other), it might come back to life. If I open the battery hatch and hold a screwdriver across the two battery cells, it fires up reliably. The battery contacts on the hatch seem very puny. A piece of aluminum foil across the batteries didn't fix it. It's possible that I'm applying more pressure to the cells (pushing them harder against the terminals inside the camera) when using the screwdriver.

Anyway, it seems like there's a bad contact somewhere.

Any ideas?
Pentax_S40_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:57 AM   #5

This now infamous Optio S40 "battery depleted/freeze up" problem is not an electrical problem but is a mechanical problem. I have had the problem with two different cameras (not that I bought the camera twice mind you... my dad gave me one and had one of his own). If you notice, switching the camera to microphone mode allows you to turn it on and keep it on. It's only when you need to use the lens that it freezes up. I literally had to force the extended lens back down into the retracted position. Then the next time I tried to power up, it was fine. Don't be too afraid to apply fairly vigorous force to push the lens back down. Good luck.

Jay Blundon

aka neuroslicer
Neuroslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:20 PM   #6

Thanks.

You know, I just shake it now. It freezes up with the lens in or out. So I shake it, and more than half of the time, it will just switch on next time I press the power button. It's a bummer - it works, but I miss shots while getting the darn thing to power up. I just don't get it. The contacts look gold plated. I've tried using a synthetic eraser to clean both batteries and the camera contacts (old trick from printed circuit board connectors ). No change.

I'm almost ready to take the cover off and put a mulitmeter on some tracks to see where the apparent voltage loss occurs.

So, I think you've got an option to put it away if it fails when operating, but I'd still love to know the root cause. If this is an "infamous" problem, have you seen others that have had it, and maybe have other solutions?

cheers!
Pentax_S40_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:11 PM   #7

Hi all,

I have been on this web site for what feels like hours and hours. I like how everyone works together to come up with solutions. I hope that I will find one as well. I am also using NIHM batteries, have been through many batteries and still no luck. Any other ideas?!
prdcs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:22 AM   #8

I have the same problem with my S40! The lens is stuck 1/2 way out. When i try to turn it on,it says battery depleted and switches off - no matter what kind of battery I try. As mentioned above it works in microphone mode and works if i plug it into my computer. I have attempted the tricks found on this page and none of them work. Has anyone figuredout how much this problem costs to fix?
coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:42 AM   #9

Default Battery Deplated Problem

hi rkumarblr,

i have a same problem for my digital camera(pantex).when i switch on my cam.then show message is "battery deplated".i'm very disappointed this problem.this camera was purchase in malashya.then there is no service center.as well you know.can u suggust me how can u resolve this problem.please mail me asap.my id is vinay.gangwar@gmail.com.

Regards
-------
vinay
vinaygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:51 AM   #10

Default šPentax Optio S55 'battery depleted' problems

Hello, I have a Pentax Optio S55. It worked well in the beginning altough the batteries never lasted long. So I bought a pair of CRV3 rechargebles. They worked well for a while but now, even with them, I get always the same message : battery depleted. I measured those batteries with a multi-meter and they are fully charged (3.3V) As I put on my camera I see, in that half a second that the screen is on, the green symbol of a fresh battery but the camera nevertheless shuts off immeadiately ... It's frustrating... Plse yr advice because this camera is as new, has always been looked after as should... Grtz Erwin
erwinschimek is offline   Reply With Quote