Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:01 AM   #1

Hello all, I am new to this forum and unfortunately I am writing because of a problem with my digital camera.

I purchased my S5i this past December and have really enjoyed the camera. It takes amazing pictures outside. The problem is when I use it to take pictures in low light environments. I cant seem to get a sharp image. It doesnt matter what setting I have the camera in, if its in doors, the picture comes out blurry. I plan on contacting Pentax today to see what they can do about it. But its less than a year old and I have never dropped the camera.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to take pictures that arent blurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
5nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:48 AM   #2

If you are getting blurry pictures with the flash turned on and within the listed range of the flash you have focus problems. That is 11.5 feet at wide angle and 6.6 feet at telephoto. Those ranges are for ISO200 which is pretty grainy. If the camera defaults to ISO100 with the flash the range would be shorter if you don't increase the ISO. Make sure to pre-focus by holding the shutter halfway and don't depress it the rest of the way until the focus light shows in the viewfinder.

If you are trying to shoot indoors without a flash your shots are mostly going to come out blurry. Most non-DSLR cameras without stabilization or high ISO capability can't generate enough shutter speed to handhold indoors.

When you half press the shutter it will tell you what shutter speed it is generating on the LCD. Using the standard formula for holding the camera well and using the optical viewfinder you need 1/30 second at wide angle and 1/100 second at telephoto. A typical f2.8 digital camera won't give you a fast enough shutter speed to take photos indoors without a tripod.

If you put your elbows into your chest, press the camera against your face and squeeze off the second step in the shutter after you have focus lock you can get some shots at 1/8 second at wide angle. They often look OK for small prints or for e-mail size. Forget about using the LCD as a viewfinder or using telephoto without a flash indoors.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote