Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:44 AM   #1

Hi Folks,

I want to be able to place a date on the pictures I take with my Optio 555, I believe there is no way to do it with the camera (or is there a firmware update??).. Are there software packages that will let me do this??

Please let me know how you are doing this??

- Hubert
hpiatkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:17 AM   #2

I personally think that date stamps can ruin photos (my opinion anyway, since the date stamp can be pretty unsightly, especially if the color of the stamp happens to clash with the image you take). Everytime I see someone post a photo here with one, I cringe (but, that's probably just me). ;-)

But, you can get software to print a date/time stamp on a photo, if you really have a need for it.

The settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images).This header includes the date and time an image was taken. You can get free software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images with the date if desired.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode). There are more programsthat can do this, too.

Using this technique (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the header in the image file). Even the free software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote