Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:02 PM   #1

I am currently looking for a digital camera with a good MPEG4 movie mode such as the Pentax A10 and T10.Anyone care to comment on how good the DIVX movie mode is compared to other MPEG4 type camerassuch as those fromCasio and Kodak? I can play with them in the store, but as we know with images, this is not really representative of the quality unless you can play it back on a PC.

Has anyone got any Pentax DIVX movie samples that they could either send me via email or if they could at least upload them online to putfile.com etc that would be fine. As long as they don't end upbeing too recompressed like on youtube.comso as to give a good representation of the actual output.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:11 AM   #2

You can find DIvX samles at www.pentax.co.jp for the Optio S6. This sample file shows that it produces steady 30fps. The A10 has non-smooth DivX due to the 20-30fps upsampling. Pentax has not made any samples available for A10, perhaps due to this reason. Optio S7 and A20 (published today) has also DivX, and I think (but do not know) that these produce smooth 30fps. As of frame image quality, I have seen reviews stating both good and not so good. The Pentax divx avi sample shows that 10s video clip @ 30fps and VGA resolution takes about 2.5MB, while a Canon Ixus 60 needs 20MB per 20s. Perhaps the Canon offer better quality, but as you see, at the cost of about 10 times as much storage requirements. Hope this helps - arne
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote