Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:18 AM   #1

I would like to use my Nikon Coolpix 8800 with studio flash systems, either via a hotshoe adapter (I have a Wein Safesync) or by remote triggers (radio or infra-red control).

As I understand things, the strobe output levels must be reduced until the aperture value determined falls in the range of apertures that the coolpix 8800 can deal with: are the recommendations as to what shutter speed should be used?

I am not sure what settings need to be made on-camera. Should the built-in speedlight be disabled? If the Wein safe-sync is used and connected up to the studio flash, will that stop the built-in speedlight from firing?

At the moment I am not too sure what setup will be used as it varies from studio to studio, but I am just covering my bases.

If someone has a step-by-step guide or experience of using a Nikon Coolpix 8800 with studio flash, I would be very interested to hear about the methodology and procedures required.

arctica1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:56 AM   #2

First off, this is posted in the wrong place. Hopefully one of the moderators will move it to the correct location. Once there, you may get more help.

I don't have this camera but I will try to give my 2 cents worth.

First, the built in flash probably turns itself off when a flash is inserted into the hotshoe.

As for settings, does the 8800 have a manual mode? You will want to stay away from anything automatic because the camera will try to meter without the strobes and then will blow the image out when it fires.

If you have manual, I would start with a shutter speed of 1/125 and then the aperture will vary depending on the strobes, subject, distance, etc. You could start with an aperture of about 9 or so and that should give you a good start point.

Hope this helps a little,

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote