Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:50 PM   #1

as most of you know i love sports shooting, but i have been doing school day shoots and grads, and those type of photos for the place i work. sometimes i go to the studio and fool around with different lighting. frank doorhof is my all time favorite, he really kills the lighting! i wish one day he would make it near new orleans i would attend his classes. anyway, the first few are of my little guy, i finally got him to stay still long enough, and the others are of my oldest son's girlfriend and family. any corrections or comments deeply appreciated! and may everyone have a wonderful new year! john

5 sorry about the water mark, but i posted on a local site for business

my older son's girlfriend and family

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2

I really like your work.

1. Very cool pose with a good background for a teen shot. I'm curious what the color version of this one looked like.

2. Again, a cool pose - the lighting really makes this shot work for me.. nicely done..

3. I think this is my favorite of the bunch.. very masculine, at the same time showing some character..

4. Probably a bit too much direct light on this one..

5. Similar to #4 - probably my second fav..

6-10 - Seem overly posed, overly lighted, maybe a bit rushed. Maybe with the sons girlfriend, you didn't have the time to get things just right - I'm not sure - they just don't have the subtle feel of the first bunch.

11-13 - Seems like maybe you settled in and they are very nice shots..

I too am making a transition from sports to some portrait shots and its definitely not easy. I feel like you've got a great group here and it looks like some willing models - so keep up the good work and keep posting...

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:24 AM   #3

Like you, I thinkFranks work is amazing, and I too wish I oculd attend one of his seminars. I have been able to look up a few You Tube videos of his. Anyway, back to your pictures. My favorite is #2, very cool masculine pose with great lighting. Practice makes perfect, so keep up the good work.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:10 PM   #4

thanks guys for the comments, with my son i took my time and tried to get nice shots, not that i didn't on the others, but for the girls i was just kind of showing their mom some different poses. she is trying to learn an we used her 30d, i was setting up the lighting and we took turns shooting and it was somewhat hectic!! but it was fun, we will be shooting more. and again, thanks for the comments!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote