Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:53 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Family Location Shoot - Mum, Dad and 4 girls!

I was booked a couple of months ago to shoot a family from Paris who were going to be visiting the mums parents here in Plymouth. The weather wasn't great, but it was dry at least and the sun was trying to make an appearance.

Here is a quickly edited selection of the shots, always keen to hear what you think and to take on board any suggestions.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:15 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great stuff there Mark. Lighting and compositions are top notch. If you don't mind some critique on a couple (just MHO):
#1: Looks like everthing is leaning to the left.
#4: Background once agan gives an impression of a leftward lean. Girl herself is adorable!

BTW, EXIF says flash did not fire...but I see catch lights in the eyes...how'd you do it????

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Great stuff there Mark. Lighting and compositions are top notch. If you don't mind some critique on a couple (just MHO):
#1: Looks like everthing is leaning to the left.
#4: Background once agan gives an impression of a leftward lean. Girl herself is adorable!

BTW, EXIF says flash did not fire...but I see catch lights in the eyes...how'd you do it????

Jehan
Thanks Jehan. #1 is how I decided to shoot it as they didn't fit as nicely when I shot a straight one and I like shooting certain shots at angles. #4, I agree, but I like her straight, it was her or the background LOL.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:44 PM   #4

Hi Mark

You've captured great colours (saturated but not over done) and great smiles from a photogenic family.

The exposure is very good on nearly all of them, which can be tricky. Though just a tad overexposed in photos #3 and #5 - where the nose and dress in each of these photos is just a bit too hot / bright. At least on my monitor (which is a good one) photos #3 and #5 would look better with 1/3 to 1/2 EV less exposure.

Perhaps 'the sun trying to make an appearance' gave you that nice soft light? (Natural big soft box?)

I do feel your logo is a bit too large for some of these compositions (and to me quite distracting in 1, 3, 7, 8 and 11). I realise you do want to use your logo and thus indicate these are photos by a professional, ie aiming to make money from shoots.

Hope you've been keeping well, and I look forward to seeing more of your work, mate.

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:35 AM   #5
NHL

Mark

I've been watching your work for a while... Just want to drop in to say you're doing great!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:42 AM   #6

Great shots Mark!

I got some great shots of my granddaughters but I take their photo's all the time. To get these shots in one or two sessions is a very difficult to do. How in the heck did you get 4 lil ones to cooperate?

I like your use of the elements found in the park.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:36 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone!

Paul, re the logo, it's one of those necessary evils that I use on the blog and Facebook as I know there are people who will use the photos so at least I get some advertising

NHL, I'm getting there, I spend quite a bit of time looking at the work of others and also with the online training videos I subscribe to, then try to put some things into practise.

Mike, a lot of it is giving them space and downtime so they are not always being photographed. Also bribery by sweets from mum worked for these girls LOL.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:10 AM   #8

Nicely done I think its a case of you work with what you have. I know that from taking shots of our granddaughters, they live in florida so we only see them once year, and so conditions are not always perfect.
I think these are really nice and they should be pleased
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks Wave, yep, have to go with the flow All good fun though.

Just heard back from the mum and they are really happy and looking to book me again when they visit the UK next time

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:48 PM   #10

Nice set of pictures, you captured four very cute little girls and a very happy Mom and Dad. Do feel sorry for the Dad, as he is going to have a line of boys around the house in not time at all.

What is it they say "have a son and you worry about one boy, have a daughter and you worry about all the boys"