Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:30 PM   #1
Super Moderator
Default First Maternity Shoot

To follow on from my first shoot in a proper studio which took place a few weeks ago, I've now done my first maternity shoot. Not so hi tech this time, just 2 x Canon 580 flash guns and shoot through umbrellas. Didn't always shoot 2 lights, there were a few with just a single.

Would love to know your thoughts and advice for next time out. I was really struggling for ideas, you know what it's like, you look at things online then when it comes to putting it into practise your mind goes blank. I know I've done too many with the same hand pose of mum so will look at more options in the future.

Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:36 PM   #2

I like 2 and 5 with 5 being the best in my opinion. These are differnet for me and I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw your post. They remind me of something that would be in a women's magazine. Really great series but you and a few other people on this site always have great work to display!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:53 PM   #3

Nice as always Mark. Beautiful lighting. I like the 4 hands pics especially, since this is (oftentimes) about a couple's experience, not just the woman's.
And I like the low key. Seems like so many of the maternity pics I've seen have been high key, white on white, etc. These are, I daresay, romantic.

The piercing seems awfully harsh for loving pictures of a future baby... but that's nothing that you can control. I just wish she'd chosen a softer charm, or a ring...

I wish there were at least a few with people's faces clearly visible. This is about a mother
giving birth after all, not just a womb.
You probably have to PS out the clothing / stretch marks in No. 3.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:57 PM   #4

Nice job Mark. I know maternity shots are not as easy as one might think. Nice use of single flash set back slightly behind her. it highlights the curves nicely.
Canon S95
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5

Perdendosi said everything i think about these picks.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Max Ehrmann.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:23 AM   #6

My favourite are 2,5 and 6. I love the lighting you created as it was just enough to be intimate. The last photo, I like the 'Dad-to-be" hands coming from behind as its a nice contrast of feminine beauty and strength of protection.

I'm sure your client will be very happy.
Olympus E-PL5 45mm 1.8, 60mm macro and Panny 25mm 1.4

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote