Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Default Abandoned

At the forgotten sea.
Attached Images

lomitamike is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:55 AM   #2

I really like this picture and the B&W works very well adding to the abandoned feel. Last time I was at that location everything was new and people were all over the place having fun.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
I really like this picture and the B&W works very well adding to the abandoned feel. Last time I was at that location everything was new and people were all over the place having fun.
Hey man, that was along long long time ago.
It was quite the place to be from what the --- folks tell me. Of course, most of them are gone now.

Hey, aren't your parents still with us? I remember you recently mentioning celebrating their 60th? wedding anniversary?

You have some really good genes in your family.

Thanks for your reply Calicajun. I really liked this series of shots but when no one replied I was really starting to think the "other" section, was meant for me personally.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:08 AM   #4

nice treatment but i would crop tighter as the model seems to be lost to me
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:40 AM   #5

Hi Mike,
Am I being called old "Hey man, that was along long long time ago", it wasn't that long ago. Well it doesn't feel like it was that long ago, only about 50 years ago. It is one of the places I plan on going back to see as soon as I can get away from the house for a few days. This time I'll take a camera a bit better than my old Kodak Instamatic 104.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Hi Mike,
Am I being called old "Hey man, that was along long long time ago", it wasn't that long ago. Well it doesn't feel like it was that long ago, only about 50 years ago. It is one of the places I plan on going back to see as soon as I can get away from the house for a few days. This time I'll take a camera a bit better than my old Kodak Instamatic 104.
A little irony here. I am 50 Y/O, so to me that is long ago. But, being 50 now I believe you are not old. I believe the word experienced seems to be more accurate. I can remember being a kid and sitting in the back seat of my dads Falcon cruising along highway 86, the up and down road along side the Sea that seemed to go on forever. That was right at the end of the recreational days at the Sea. It's been slowly dying ever since. A lot of the "photographic icons" are now gone but because it's such a big area new ones are replacing them.

It takes at least a few days there to thoroughly see it all. If you plan on going I highly recommend to also visit Anza Borrego right next door. Check out Font's Point at sunrise or sunset. You will not be disappointed.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
nice treatment but i would crop tighter as the model seems to be lost to me
I can't disagree with what you say. I have a 75% subject portrait rule I always try to remind myself of but;

This area was so captivating that I wanted to include it in the shot. Sometimes, especially lately its been hard to get the balance between the person in the shot and the background.

I know this is the people category but with this shot I don't think landscapes category would have been appropriate. Maybe the other catagory would have been better. The other catagory seems to be where most of my shots belong now.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:55 AM   #8

i know that this might seem unusual but what about taking the model out and just having it as a landscape
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:45 AM   #9

Just hope there is something left by the time we get (wife and I) a chance to vist Salton Sea.