Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:35 PM   #1

I've often pondered if I should go for technically correct images or to work on making that "connection" with my subject that will result in an image that is more than just a picture. Sometimes I look at an image & find that I really enjoy it (despite the obvious things I might have done differently).

Camera: Olympus C2100, manual mode...
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 9:36 PM   #2

Technical pefection in a photograph will never garner the same attention as a photograph that grips the viewer and speaks to him. My love of photography was never sparked by technical brilliance. I suppose that when critically accalimed publications print special editions of their photos they look for shots that capture a moment in time in a unique way. Not unlike theway you do with most of your models. Its likely thats why we all look for your work here and prompt you repeatedly for more. Technically, thats it.

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:29 AM   #3

pfffffffff love this subject.

I post on a few forum's on most forum people look at the feel they get with the picture and comment on that, I think that's the way it should be. If a picture has a feel than it's not that important if something is technically wrong. I would rather see a very good emotional connected shot than a technically perfect shot.

On one forum I post ALL of my shots are rocketed into the ground, ranging from reviews like, they just stink to a sum of all the technical errors there are. If they can't find anything REALLY wrong they will start about a shadow which would have been better if it was a bit lighter/darker or more to the left or right, if that's ok than it will be slight error on a necklace or the fact that the model is wearing a necklace, if that's not the problem it will be a remark about some hairs which are not perfectly alligned.
Sometimes that really bugs me when I think I made a connection with the model and that is not noticed.

For example I love the pic you posted, the model is really into character and the sensuality is dripping of my screen, however when posted there you would not hear that
You would only hear about the fingers missing on top, the ring she is wearing, the fact that here pinky is not really straight, and the crop of her bottoms.

For me that's not the important thing, I LOVE the feel and the pose and I believe that the PERFECT picture does not exist, you should alway's try to capture a feel first, and than OFFCOURSE try to get all the techs in order but I will not loose an expression because there is one finger not in the picture.

To be honest you can make a remark on ANY picture ever taken, it's the way you place it, on the forum I mention there is hardly EVER a positive review from those people, let me refrase that NEVER, while others are just saying nice.
The result....... I only post there now to get to the models and get my name in the picture again because the models DO love the shots (it's a site with models/photographers/makeup artists), but I don't even read the remarks any more.

Other models and photographers don't even post anymore because they hate to be burned to the ground on any occassion, so YES you must point out wrong elements in a shot because this can help the photographer next time, and NO you must not look at techs first.
Look at a shot if it connects with you that's a plus than look at the techs and comment.

Sorry for the long rant but this is something that's really bugging me.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 7:15 AM   #4

IMO this is what separate an 'Artist' from an 'observer'

... plus don't forget there's a 3rd kind a "pixel peeper" who only looks for noise, CA, purple fringing etc! :-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:38 PM   #5

Is that not Erieann? I had a session scheduled with her this past week and had to cancel it due to a technical issue with my gear. I was sorry to miss that opportunity.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:36 PM   #6

flint350 wrote:
Is that not Erieann? I had a session scheduled with her this past week and had to cancel it due to a technical issue with my gear. I was sorry to miss that opportunity.
Not Erieann, it's Gayle Elizabeth out of Mobile (hope she makes it through ok)! It was our second meeting & we were shooting on Dauphin Island, AL.

BTW, Giv'em hell Frank!!

Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:48 PM   #7

Ya, go with the photo that "connects".

Speaking of connections...perhaps you should send that plywood (in your photo) LA* way.

My thoughts & prayers go out to all of you on the Gulf Coast, Kalypso.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:39 PM   #8

Wonderful post, Frank !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 7:55 PM   #9

Hi Kalypso; (sounds like a song...)

Another view here, though not so different from the other opinions posted. As someone who has been involved in artistic pursuits my entire life, yet is an absolute neophite photographer, I must say I value boththe artistic and technical. I shoot for the joy, the aesthetic of capturing an image, a texture a subject, a moment... Yet day by day, I strive to learn more of this art.

It is the same in my other avocation. I conduct pit orchestras for semi-pro theatre. What I do with the stick matters nothing to the audience, but without a basic mastery of that technique I would fail, the musicians would fail, and the art would suffer. (and I would be fired) My years of experience have elevated that skill to the subcounscious level (should that be super-conscious?) I rarely think about my actions, but rather concentrate on the music. (It's strange, but my greatest shortcoming is that I often listen to the music in my head instead of what the orchestra is doing... but I digress)

With photography, I shoot from the heart, yet study my results carefully, read texts and critiques, and plan in advance for opportunities. I want to know how lenses and light and shadows work. Whenever I stop to take one picture, I look around for other subjects I may never have considered. As with you, I often find the shots which aren't technically correct to be the most pleasing. I guess you can both learn from your mistakes and use your mistakes to tell your story.

Please forgive me for rambling here. My other (artistic) shorcoming is that I become overly passionate about my endeavors.

For what it's worth,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:16 PM   #10

The second photo...... very sexy.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote