Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

View Poll Results: Should people comment on photos posted?
Yes 22 78.57%
No 0 0%
Only in the Critiques and Techniques section 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:06 AM   #11

whats all the fuss about, if you post a photo what are people meant to do but make some kind of comment, it would be pretty boring in here if all we got was, "Hi, nice photo":roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:31 AM   #12

The reason I would ask for a critique in a specific forum, is because the specilists frequent it. For example, I have never seen Frank post a critique outside of people photos. And I feel that he is the local expert on portraits. If want a portrait critiqued, I would post it where the experts could see it.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:28 PM   #13

I have to say I'm with Carrots on this one - people tend to gravitate towards specific forums where their preferred style is predominant. One of the things I like most about Steves is there isn't one single picture form but genre specific forums. I also prefer to get feedback - good and bad. I've taken my share of lumps with regards to accepting criticism and i'd like to think it's helped me to become a better photographer.

May I suggest an alternative? Perhaps when posting in any of the forums, the rule should be the original poster should request critiques if he/she wants them. If no critiques are requested then responders can refrain from providing critical advice. That way, everyone wins. We still get to post in specific forums and get critical advice from our target audience if we so desire; and those that just want to share don't have to fear getting 'blasted'.

Any reason something like that couldn't work? Seems like more of a win-win!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:30 PM   #14

I like the idea of posting tactful critiques mixed with praise. There usually is something to complement in a photo, i.e., the subject, the lighting, etc. even if it doesn't quite work in its current form. I like the ideas of the "One Minute Manager:" Mix one minute of praise, one minute of criticism and one minute of a specific solution to the problem. Criticism is always easier to take if we are also reminded of what we got right.

Even though the discussions occasionally get a bit overheated I think most people in these forums are just trying to learn from each other and help each other. The quality of these forums would be much poorer if constructive comments were limited to just the critique forum. I learn a heck of a lot from looking at others' photos and reading the solutions that are provided.

I agree with the suggestion that people could post requests for others to give or withhold critiques and those requests would, of course, be honored.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote