Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:38 PM   #11

After a recent long thread in the correct critiques section of this web site, we discussed constructive criticism. I would just like to point out:

a) This post is NOT in the critiques section therefore maybe the poster does NOT want your idea of what you feel is constructive criticism; and

b) Most of the people as you can see find the work of others an educational experience that we all share in a friendly community.

I would recommend that with such an obvious lack of input into this community over such a long period you should rethink when it is appropriate to give people your idea of "help" and when you should casually observe and allow others to enjoy the web site.

Like so many others have said Franks work is accepted by so many and he has proved time and time again that he can produce exceptional results. Do you feel that you have the photographic skills to back up why you feel these shots are mediocre?

I as many others now await your pictures.

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:19 PM   #12

Human behavioral studies yield surprising information when it comes to group obervation and opinion. I doubt this forum is an exception to those findings. I watched a popular tv show presenting just such a study recently, and the results were amusing. We do tend to adopt the opinions of the group, sometimes without much thought. Hopefully this won't stimulate you to abandon the forum. Your last post reads like a farewell. The debate about group mentality ought not to influence a free thinking man. I hope you will take into account the respect and admiration we (the group) have for Frank and his work. I know it's been pointed out that this is not a critiques forum, but we've always been loose and free with advice and comments, in the peeple topic. I think most of us wish you had just rephrased your comments and been less harsh and more respectful. Speaking of respect, even with my most unattractive posts, I've never recieved a stinging shot from Frank, only polite direction and encouragement. Right about now, Kalypso is probably poised over his keyboard preparing a tap on the shoulder to steer us back to posting pictures, so in keeping with my telepathy, I respectfully bow out of this one.

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:00 AM   #13

i'm sure we have been through this once before reguarding Frank's work. i've been a member under this forum for just over a year now under the nameKiwinz and recently changed names to dx.

I have watched franks work progress to a very competant and also "Published" photogragher with his book etc. since i don't do portraits at all,I yet admire a lot of potrait photograghers in here. the last guy that "garbaged" Franks work on here got a right grilling from his friends on here and we stood behind him as a person and as a photogragher

if your so hot stuff.... then plz by all means post as many as you want on here.. but if you havn't got what it takes?... then i'd put up or shut up. don't dis the man without showing us your proof etc ok

furthermore : you have to remember that 90 percent of us are all hobby photograghers and not professionals. the reason for this forum is to come here and get hints, tips, comments to further our 'expertise" etc ok. if i remember right. Frank has a day job with his business and still does photograghy as a "HOBBY"

Myself has learnt a lot in here from the likes of Frank, Kaylpso, vitto etc. also I have checked out that panos sight... to be perfectly honest and harsh.... they look quite dull and boring to me. hope you can produce better then those shots holligan ...... look forward to seeing them

Dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:08 AM   #14

To be quit honest, luck is always a factor in achieving your shots.
But to be honest, your remark that my shots are largely contributed to luck is of course rubbish.

My work can be nice for some, and bad for others, no problem.
But to contribute my shots too luck is ..... well not the truth to put it mildly
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:58 AM   #15

And Frank's work is excellent!!
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:46 AM   #16

hooligan said:

". . . which leads me to conclude that the nice shots are more attributable to luck than eye."

Seems like you are one heck of a lucky guy then Frank.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:07 PM   #17

I'm the luckiest man alive
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:47 AM   #18

Hooligan, (Or is it Ansel reborn?)

Since this topic has beaten to death, I thought I would kick while it's down. As mentioned ina previous post,THIS IS NOT THE CRITIQUE" section of this forum which woule lead to ones thinking that there is no need to say anything about these posts. Secondly,you are comparing apples to oranges when you try to compare what Frank does to Photo journalism. If Frank wanted to go and take pictures of the wars, the dying and the sick then maybe he too could be posted on the news or in the paper but that's not what he does. Photography is moslty opinions based and it seems your opinions would best serve elsewhere.

Fan base? Sure, I guess I am a fan of Franks work but not just because he takes great photographs. If you would take a minute to read over his site you would see that he offers help to anyone who asks for it. So not only does he take great photographs he is a credit to his profession by sharing his wealth of knowledge. All of your posts really don't seem to share a thing except for the fact that you don't like his work. I think your place should be either in the Critiques forum (they'd love you there) or maybe in a little room all by yourself with your depressing pictures from that mediocre site you recommended.

With all that said, I do like number 1 the best. I won't critique it because that is apparently Hooligans job.

Keep up the good work Frank.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 2:25 AM   #19

Let's always keep respect for each other :|
Live is allready to depressing LOL
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:39 AM   #20

your work is always outstanding and i always look fwd to your next post. I think SOMEBODY is just trying to stir a pot of you no what.

BTW i love this shot, i love the way you use ur lighting something i would definately love to learn to your sort of level.

shot 1 really does it for me.

thanks for your contribution again, look fwd to the next time

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote