Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:52 PM   #1

what i could had done better to get the sky not so washed out. Took this pic, at my daughter's gradutation using Canon 30d. 24-105l is usm @ tv 1/125, av 8.00, evaluating metering, ISO 400, AWB. All the kids were standing in the shade
Attached Images
happy7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

There are a couple of options. You could have used manual mode and exposed for the sky and the added fill flash for the people or bracketed the shot with the top one exposed correctly for the people and then under exposed on the other two by 1 1/3 and 2/3or even 2 and 1 stops. Using the 30D on high speed continuous shot you would have got very similar shots so then layering the 2 desired exposures would not have been too difficult.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:08 PM   #3

bright sunny days make for hard work

next time u will know to look for how light is that day and instantly see a problem, thats part of learning curve,..........learn by mistakes.

if its partialy cloudy wait a few mins for sun to go behind clouds, even in landscape photos i gotta sit and wait for a while for light to be correct.

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:04 PM   #4

This problem, called dynamic range is being discuseed here:

Now that you know of the problem, best thing to do is learn from it and look for this for future shots.

You could post-process this shot and add a fake sky - i.e. paint the sky blue and use a gradient to fake it.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote