Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 1, 2007, 5:39 PM   #1

his team allowing me to photograph them and gets lot of practice for shooting people.

I think I did well except for letting the tripod slip out of place just for a second ( I really think I need a new one ).

Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:12 PM   #2

Just a couple of things.

First, it looks as though you are taking the shots during the harsh time of the day. The sun looks to be almost directly over head which creates shadows in places that you don't want them and also makes your subjects squint. Try taking pictures during sunrise/sunset and position the subjects so they will not look directly into the sun but at the same time, keep the light in front of them and off to one side a bit.

Second, in the first two shots, you have the background directly behind the people. This creates a very flat look to the photo. Bring the subjects away from the background about 5-10 feet. This will eliminate thier shadows on the background and give it some more dimension.

That's just my 2 cents, which may be all it's worth.

Good luck,

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:25 PM   #3

Your right Dave it was very sunny out. and here are the photo's uncompressed but just cropped.

Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:12 AM   #4

I like the third shot. I like the garage there. It acts as the frame to the shot.

I would fix the WB a bit. It has some blue tinge to it and the white is not purely white. Fix that and you have a perfect shot.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:54 PM   #5

When you re-size your pictures in PS you have to hold the shift key down to change ittoscale, or you'll stretch (pics 1 and 2)or squish them (Pic 3).

Good luck

Keep shoot'n
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6

On pics 1 and 2, I dont really like the way the lines from the [garage door?] slope down from left to right, it gives the picture a tilted feeling, if thats what you are going for then it works. If not I would go for a more direct shot, but because of the sun you might not have been able to do so at the time. Keep shooting.
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:35 AM   #7

first - have to decide what you are photographing, walls, garage doors or people.
It people is what you are after - then you have to do everything you can to get your subjects in focus and everything else out of focus.
move the group away from the background as was already suggested and use larger apperture and faster shutter. this will alow to blure the background.

remove everything you can from the background our our of the frame that does not belong there and does not help to convey what you need to say by your photo.

and CROP CROP CROP. if you could not for whatever reason take a tight shot of your group of people, crop the picture after. there is no reason for the blank space to be in the image unless it is to create some artistic effect you are after. there is no reason for some boxes with jusk to be in the image unless you have them there for the pupose of creating the atmosphere of the shot.

fill flash may help a little with the harsh shadows. the best solution during the midday sun though is to photograph your subject on the edge of the shadow in the shadow. You will have enough light and you eliminate the harsh shadows. Another solution is to put the sun behind your subjects backs and expose for the fases not the background, in this scernario the background will be blown out (white) but you will have a much softer light on your subjects. S reflector helps a lot to put some light back into your subjects. Reflector can be anything - car, wall, doors, large piece of cardboard, an actual silver or white reflector, or even the windshield screen - the one you install to keep the sun out ouf your car when you leave it on a sunny parking lot, it has a silver reflective side that can be successfully used for putting the light from where it is to where you want it to go .....
and so on .....

but let me repeat though ... the FIRST thing that strikes me is that your photosh should be cropped at least. your subjects will be larger, and take up more space of the photo which make your photo to have more impact.

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote