Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:06 AM   #1

Good morning.

I have some pics and would like opinions on them.

1 pic per thread. so here it goes.

Be honest.

Attached Images
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Joe,

I notice that you have these titled portfolio, are you looking at using these for a printed portfolio to gain business?

OK onto the shot. There are a few things that you might like to consider to improve this one next time as you have potential here to work with.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that the shot is under exposed quite a bit and this is due to the amount of white in the frame. Looking at the specs on the 510 you can display the histogram when reviewing the shots and I would use this to ensure you are gettinga more accurate exposure. I've attached a screen grab of the histogram of the image posted and you can see that the whites which should basically be fully to the right are quite away from there. When exposing you want to expose for the face as skin tones are what count.

Next point, you have cut her in two with the change from the black to white background which again is not helping the image so always look at the background when taking a shot.

In general there is too much dead space around her which is not adding to the story so I would go for a portrait rather than landscape shot here.

That should help out for the next time.

Attached Images
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:32 PM   #3

This shot has potential.

I think some black details has been lost and can probably bee recovered using shdow highlight, levels or curves.

Also maybe use clone tool to clean up backing. When taking shots try to get nice clean backings unless they contribute to the oerall feel of the shot. Again this is fixable in photoshop.

Just pulled both levels bars in. Needs more work but the detail is there.

hope you dont mind

Attached Images
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:22 PM   #4

for me, her head is cropped too close to the top of the pic. also hair and background are nearly the same color.
mopar is offline   Reply With Quote