Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:16 PM   #1

Just wondering what sort of equipment would be required. Also, what would be the basics on settings to capture these kind of shots. It seems that the focus is very limited in depth, making some things look nice and crisp and anything fore/aft of that spot out of focus. I like it.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that with my small Sony point and shoot.

Update. I remove the links for the pictures and attached one. Also, my camera is a Sony DSC-S60.
Attached Images
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:35 PM   #2

What you're describing isa shallow depth of field. It is something that happens when using alarge aperture. You don't say what kind of Sony P&S you have, but if you can set the camera to aperture priority and use the largest aperture (smallest f-stop number) you can, you might get what you're looking for, especially for subjects that are close. The DSC-S60 has a zoom lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the shortest focal length (wide angle), and f/5.2 at the longest focal length (telephoto.) There's not a lot to work with there, if you wnat to play with the depth of field.

But typically, a shallow depth of field is something that is usually only attainable with dSLRs and fast (large aperture) lenses.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_fieldfor more information.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:54 PM   #3

The dynamic range of this photo looks to be higher than most digital P&S cameras, and I looked at the EXIF data, and it was shot with Canon EOS 5D dSLR. For the shallow DOF, you can try it on a P&S in macro mode and get close. Or to reproduce the dynamic range shoot one underexposed by 2 stops, and another 2 stops overxposed on a tripod. Then in photoshop or some other image editor combine the two exposures into one.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote