Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: what do you think of this picture?
Bad 2 33.33%
Ok 3 50.00%
Good 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:31 PM   #1

Please tell frank opinion on this photo and what it lacks in your opinion?
I'm arguing with my girlfriend about whenever it's good or not, so maybe you can judge us.

Attached Images

sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:39 PM   #2

Techhnically its a good picture. As far as subject goes it needs some work there in my opinion. I would sooner see a nice colorful flower instead of a browned out dead one. I think many could speak a few words about your technical correctness here. But whats the point of this subject? I think a good picture is one you can be proud of and one you would hang on your wall and display it with pride. If you can do that with this picture then its a good one. I sure wouldnt. I dont think your survey asks the right question. It should say good subject or bad subject. Then it would be easier to say bad. However its not a bad picture. Just a bad subject. Uninteresting.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:41 PM   #3

first thing that comes to mind with the big brown branch right in the middle is the rule of 2/3rds...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Good job on the depth of field, nicely blurring the background...

Subject matter..... maybe if you did a really tight close up... ???
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:29 PM   #4

Thanks for your feedback folks, wish I could post earilier, I was just thinking that my picture would be ignored so didn't post it before.

Bynx, indeed I couldn't proud of this picture. The reason it was posted is that I wish to hear if everyone think that subject isn't interesting. As personally I find this dried fennel in the middle of the spring when everything is green and growing. So I like it but it lacks something for me. BTW you've just echoed words of my girlfriends about this picutre, as she don't like this one and suggested me to load instead other which I doesn't find much interesting myself Thanks once again for comments!

Mr_Saginaw, thanks for your advice. I couldn't use rule of thirds in this case as although picture was done in mountains far from civilization there was a lot of artificial objects around which I don't wish to include into frame.
Regrading tighter close-up now when I think about it, I believe it could work, but in the moment I've hit on shutter I wish to capture dried fennel and web of the spider so it would better reflect atmosphere of the place, guess it was my mistake.
Anyway after all I agree with Bynx that subject may be not so ingesting and this is what make this photo bad in first place. Thanks for help!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:22 AM   #5

Ok! I'm not going tobringingthe tired 'Does the beauty of a picture lies in the beauty of its subject?'question :-)since Bynx'sstraightforward wordsmakes really a lot of senseremindingme Tolstoy'sview of art!

Still if it is the patterns which you found appealing, you might wish to keep it as B&W, IMO, such as below..

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:26 AM   #6

Bahadir, thanks a lot! You've opened my eyes to this photo actually, as I rarely try to convert into B&W and I believe that it's really working for this case, as it's remove disbalance of green background and dried fennel. Your cropping seems to improve it's look also. And although I still can't be much proud of it, I finally feel that it's found what I was lacking in this photo. I appreciate your input!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:01 PM   #7

Glad you liked it : )

Having the original I think you can doeven better, stressing the spider's web and the dried fennel ( which means death to smaller creatures!) and then might wish to share with us again!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote