Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:21 AM   #1

Hello, below is my first photo called "Paradise Lost". Comments are welcome.:-)

Visit my homepage for more.
Attached Images
mybestcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums mybestcanvas!

Ifound therelation between triangular edges of the fence in the foreground and the hay stack eye pleasing : )However, the subject matter seems to be a bit much centralized. I may risk sounding a little mainstreamadvising to follow the good old rule of the thirds whichstill pays off!

Btw, I didsome highlights and shadow adjustment toprevent the highlight area in the sky from distracting from the whole and to make things in the mid ground a bit more visible. Hope you don't mind : )
Attached Images
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:24 PM   #3

I like the colors generally. It is a good subject as well. As long as you're asking for comments I'll supply one. I think a landscape versus portrait viewof thiswould be wonderful. I would have walked over to the right to get the intersecton of the fences in the lower right of the frame and place the stack of straw in the upper left corner of the frame. This way the fences would lead your eye right over to the stack which would be more pleasingly off center. I don't know if that makes any sense but there you have it. Is it possible to go back to that location and shoot again? Because I think you've found a real interesting subject and you seem to have done quite well with the colors. Another benefit for placing that subject in the upper left would be that you would have less trouble on the exposure of the sky.

Of course having done all I have suggested I suppose you could hardly call it "Lost" any more. Keep up the work. I have learned a lot from the people on this forum and they are very ehlpful and forthcoming. I even got POTD for the 14th of this month with some techniques someone recommended to me in a private e-mail from someone who owned the same camera as me. Have fun!
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:01 AM   #4

i think the comp is very safe. Needs to be biased up or down. Probably up.

This should could prob handle some harsh post processing to harden the shot maybe through togher contrast and maybe peaking out the saturation a bit more.

i like the touch of highlights and shadows to bring out some of that detail too

i think the subject has potential, just mess with the compositions.

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote