Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:30 AM   #1

Here is an image of partners in nature...a butterfly and a flower. Please feel free to comment. Thanks for viewing. cheers!

jmdesign-digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:58 AM   #2

Though I liked the picture thanks tothe pose of the butterfly on theflowers of appealing colours (your fitting title doesn't go unnoticed here, btw), I should say, carrying the frame diagonally to left bottom corner wise (if it were possible!), you'd attain abetter composition, imo,without having to cut thetips of the butterfly's wingswhile filling in the frame more with the subject as well. Btw, according to my humble experience, usinga narrower (or bigger number) apertureis safer when it comes to wing spreadingbutterflies!!to display more of the beautiful subject in focus : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:02 PM   #3

For some reason, I like this one the way it is. Normally I wouldn't like the out of focus wings, but the body and headare so sharp, and the wing just sort-of contrasts with it (I like contrasts). Its not a "perfect" butterfly picture, and those who look at things from more of a purist-photographerpoint of view won't like it (clumsy expression - perhaps I should have said pro-level instead of amateur point of view, and I don't mean it in a negative way at all),but I find it pleasing and artistic. I might be tempted to try cropping some more off of the left side (since you clipped thewing anyway)so there's less OOF wing, but I'm not sure it would improve it any (an idea to play around with only).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:06 PM   #4

I agree with mtngal that on this shot the oof wings seem to ad something to the image. Based on your title, this image is about the relationship between the butterfly and the flower. You have captured that relationship beautifuly. I also agree about the suggested crop.

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote