Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:38 PM   #1

I show this with my Pentax ZX-L film camera with Kodak TriX 400 film scanned with a canon flat bed scanner. I shot this for my film class and the assignment is "Patterns".

These three shots where taken at the same time of the same subject but with different angle.
Out of the three which one do you like best? Also how can I improve on this picture? I may go back to the same spot to retake the image if I can improve it.

Please judge on the composition and how I framed the image. The contrast and exposure can be adjusted in development. I just want to know which one I should print.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2009, 8:45 PM   #2

I personally like #3. Great lines.
Waterwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:31 PM   #3

sign me up for #2. I think it works really well, and the depth of field minimizes some of the out-of-line cross-thingies.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4

I vote for #3 with one slight modification. I would crop it at little at the top, as if the scene went on and on and didn't end. Doe sthat make sense?
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 6:10 AM   #5

Any interest I find in any of the photos lies more with the precision of the planting than the photo itself. Each photo shows a different aspect of that precision. So for me 1, 2 or 3 -- whatever floats your boat. Do you find any of them to be a wall hanger?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:48 AM   #6

I like #1. 2 and 3 are cut in half down the middle and that bothers me.

#1 would be better if you could get a little higher view point, to show the pattern more and crop out the sky and trees.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:28 PM   #7

Hey, that's high cordon systemfor...vine, isn't it? I can see the dripping irrigation sysytem through pipes...And the white quader thingies around the posts could be tomake the vineyard easierto plowwith a tractorI guess.

When it comesto composition, I'd agree with Bynx. Hard to choose!Still,I'd say,#1 ,which offers a varying order of poles from right to left, from left to right and even 'V' like, quite entertaining my eyes...or the last one, which gives a sense of vastness with the repetative pattern... Very nice images!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:04 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems like I got mix reviews on these images which is good. I still have another roll in my other film camera that I haven't processed. I also shot this same image but with a different lens. I hope it will come out differently.

Thanks again.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:04 PM   #9

Interesting series. Also it's interesting to see how others react to them. Just my personal preference, but I like 2 the best because its simpler and to me looks more like a pattern than the first one. For some reason, at least tonight, I don't care for the first one - the second two look more ordered to me (though I will say that the minute I looked at the first one I knew what it was, and the funny thing is that I've often thought of trying to capture something similar to what you did here). I might like the first one better if your point of view had been a bit higher. I wonder what it would look like if you got much lower? Maybe not - it would depend on the light. Just a thought.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:51 AM   #10

Hi superkuma

Like mntgal, I think I prefer photo #2 the most.

At first I couldn't put my finger on it (or on the number of things) that made #2 most attractive for me. But then I thought, yes - perhaps most importantly I like the amount of sky and horizon in this photo (number 3 cuts the horizon just wrong imho).

Photo 1 is a bit too disorganised (personal opinion), and seems to be tilted. Number 2 therefore I like the best. Interesting photos. I've taken some photos of vineyards, capturing their patterns, symmetry, etc but not exactly like yours - and not in B&W.

Well done.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote