Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:00 AM   #1

I am not sure whether I have postet this shot in the right forum as the motiv is more in the way of "landscape" or perhaps "architectural" or may be even "Digital art / Modified..." - but I'll just settle for here, as it is foremost a HDR-photo:

This shot was taken early in the (cold!!) morning in december, last year, before the sun was really out, hence the soft light. A series of 3 shots with -1.0 and +1.0 and one "normal" exposure gave this HDR-exercise, which actually should'nt have become a decent picture as I didn't havea tripod then.

Handheld and a lot of luck, pluss the fact that my beloved Panasonic Lumix TZ-28 has a superb bulidt-in stabilizer, made this shot possible!

Check out the 3 V-flights of birds in the sky!

Have a nice Easter-Hollyday!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:25 AM   #2

Good job indeed!That prettywinter scenefrom a cosytown quite appealed to me... A slight pass of Neat Image would work here, imo.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Nicely done.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4

Really nice hdr, not to over done.
Alan james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Alan james wrote:
Really nice hdr, not to over done.
Well, Alan james - actually, I think that I have overdone a bit. It's easy to get carried away with this new wonderful program (Photomatix). I have postet the same picture in a Norwegian Photo-forum and all comment where negative. Too much HDR was the verdict. Too much halo and too much "Mickey Mouse-colours" - as they said.....

So, shamefully, I went back to Photomatix and generated another picture with the same 3 exposures, but this time I controlled myself to some extend. This is what came out this time.

What do you think now?

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 2:14 PM   #6

It all depends on what you are looking for. I rather thought the over-the-top look fit your scene - the only thing I would have done differently would be to change the sky around the trees/top of the buildingon the left, where the halo is most objectionable to me.

On the other hand, if you were looking for a photographic representation of what your eye saw, then the second one is far better. And I do prefer the transition on the left side between building, trees and sky much better.

Just my opinion, but the second version is nice, but a rather ho-hum scene. The first one is a fantasy view - more art work than photo. It's interesting, unusual. I'dprobably tryput the skyline on the left from thesecond picture onto therest of the first picture and keep that. It's a look that is fine every so often, but not something I'd use to process all of my photos with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:41 PM   #7

2nd one is better in my opinion. It has a right balance of colors whereasin the 1st the lights from the bulbs was bit distracting.

siddhartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:37 AM   #8

It's just a matter of taste. I'm not usually a fan of overcooked HDR, but I find both shots very pleasing, but different. 'bahadir' posted two different HDR versions in 'Landscape photos' recently, and I liked both of them as well.

In holiday areas of the UK, shops have racks of postcards that fall into two neat sets - lurid badly oversaturated versions (to my taste), and much gentler images, which are more 'naturalistic.' Both types seem to sell well, otherwise shopkeepers wouldn't stock them.

Pity about the wire across the sky. They plague my local landscapes. It might be possible to clone it out, or tone it down, with care. On the other hand, I realise it may be a compositional component in its own right, leading the eye towards the distance.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:18 PM   #9

Call me crazy, but for this image I would like to see a split between the first and the second edit. If it was nestled in between those two shots I think it would look the best, imo. But of course this is hugely subjective.

I agree with mtngal in that the tree has some halo action going on that is definitely distracting.. with just a bit of work in lightroom here is the result

Its subtle no doubt, but enough that itdoesn't stand out as much as the original image.
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote