Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: The photo has a cutting edge, worth submitting for a competition
Strongly Agree 0 0%
Moderately agree 1 9.09%
Disagree 10 90.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:39 PM   #11

some comments:
on the 2nd photo (waterfall dead on) - the one thing I would add that made it a poor photo for me was the rocks simply were not sharp. I don't know if it was a focus issue or a camera shake issue but for a prominant part of the photo to not be sharp it was distracting. None of the edits posted were able to correct that for me. Bob's came closest to correcting it was still too soft for my tastes given where it was in the focal plane and the hard edges of the rock in reality.

On the last photo: the color of the clouds looks too over-processed. And while there are some interesting lines in them, there aren't enough to make it very interesting. The lower portion of the frame also doesn't add much to this particular photo. To my eye, a pano shot of the lower 3rd of the image might have been more interesting (with a bit more of the pond included). Even so, an HDR would have been beneficial with less of the sunset highlights blown and less shadow (although still some) in the foreground. But the clouds themselves aren't interesting enough to me the two together (clouds at 2/3 of frame and housing / pond / sunset at 1/3 frame) didn't work well for me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote