Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:03 PM   #1
Default Flower at my little girl's school

A Gerber Daisy:

Let me know what you think.

myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:50 PM   #2

To be honest, I don't really like the photo. The lighting is a bit harsh for my taste, and the flower appears a bit soft (possibly due to movement). I'm also not liking the composition.

Here's how I would improve the image:
1) Take the photo earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon, when the sun is even more at an angle. This will add nice warmth to the photo and lessen the harsh light. If you can't take the photo at a different time, try using a sheet or veil (if accessible) to shade flower.
2) Crop more out of the sides. With such a symmetrical flower, a square crop might work better with this photo, as the extra sides of the current photo add distraction. If possible, zoom in with your lens.
3) Make sure focus is tack sharp and use a fast shutter speed. Use the largest aperture you can to both minimize exposure time and reduce depth of field to reduce distraction in the background. A shorter exposure time will also reduce the risk of blur from movement. If you can't adjust your shutter speed, try to tie down the flower to minimize movement possible. If you're finding that too much of the flower is out of focus, then lower the aperture a bit to increase your depth of field.

I don't want to plug one of my photos, but this photo I took demonstrates how all of these techniques can create a more pleasing photo (granted, I had access to a better lens, but these techniques still apply): http://www.flickr.com/photos/inferno10/3717256591/

Hope this helps!

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote