Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:23 PM   #11

#3 for the glow of the home church
#2 for the set of the sun
#1 for the fact of the fish eye lens making the universe in its own world
#4 would get my vote cause Christmas is near and that should be the theme for the photos so they can do more with the subject of the nature of the teaching for the subject. The church was the best place to go for that is what Jesus was telling us to teach others its the gospel of life to pass it on.. all ways leave the students with more than they come for.... if not the urge will die via nothing to gain from what is taught.....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:54 AM   #12

Kevin, I will agree with Bynx, number 1 is the best of the four, and honestly, that isn't saying a lot. The skies all look "faked", for lack of a more diplomatic term. The other three look as if the stars were an afterthought. Number 1 could have been shot with less distortion, and the stars could have been removed from in front of the clouds with a better effect, IMHO.

Having said all that, they all should get an A for effort...

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:08 AM   #13

Well done exercise - all of them in different styles.

It's #2 for my taste, because of the most 'natural' look and most texture on the white church-walls.

#4 would be my 'runner-up'.

Very interesting way of 'painting'!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:01 AM   #14

No 2 for me with No 1 runner up
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:35 AM   #15
Super Moderator

i would have to say i really like the potential in #1. i like the low placement of the horizon which really gives a sense of expansiveness to the sky, which i think is good. the subtle reflections on the church side add some interest to it as well. it just needs a quick defishing and i think it would be best of the bunch.

#2 is very solid shot. good exposure and detail. the way the photographer placed the church within the sky really makes the sky look dynamic, moreso than other shots in this series, which i think is a real strength of this image.

#3 is just a little too dark, and lacking any real detail. if the exposure were fixed, it could have merit, though i think the composition is a little less dramatic as well.

#4 i like the placement of the church in the scene, but the details are just not there.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:17 PM   #16

It's down to #1 and #2 for me. gun to head, I have to go with #2, but the composition just seems a little everyday for me. If #1 had taken advantage of that lens and gotten closer to the church, there'd be no contest.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:21 AM   #17

For me, It's #1, they are all good shots but that one is the most striking to me personally.
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote