Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:22 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
alasdair you have done right posting the image , it is the best way to learn keep em coming
yes!

having a plan. shooting, editing. and then posting for comments. and then taking what you have learned and shooting again is the best way to learn.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
Thank you for your replies.

I see what Ordo and Simple mean with burned and I am applied to agree. I really like what you did with the picture #2, simple, gave it an authentic appearance.
for the effect i used photoshop elements and this plugin http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=11 im finding the plugins very useful and worth the money as there is a few discount codes floating around the internet
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:09 PM   #13

This is what I like about this forum, members willing to help other members become better by being sincere, without being outright nasty.Thanks for the link simple.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:48 PM   #14

I don't like giving up easy.

So what I've tried to do here is make it look like an authentic old picture, but with higher quality. The picture is taken from Isegran, Fredrikstad, where they have an impressive environment for old boats. A lot of smack enthusiasts from far and near find their way to this place.

Thank you for having a look!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:58 PM   #15

mmmm? this shot would be better not b&w i think personally maybe im wrong ? or blend the b & w with the colour one ?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:37 PM   #16
Super Moderator

thanks for going out and shooting and sharing with us again.

i have 2 major issues with this photo.

1) It is just too busy, there are lines and boats everywhere, without having a good single point of interest. to remedy this, why not find 1 boat that is particularly interesting, and focus on it. maybe place it just off the side of the frame on the 1/3 vertical. and then with the remainder of the frame, the scene can flow out from there. that way we would have a nice focal point, but then the context of the lovely harbor as well. you don't necessarily have to do that, but thats the general idea. pick something to serve as your focal point, and then let the scene flow from there.

2) my 2nd issue is the awkward cropping of the masts of the ships. they just get cut off rather abruptly. same with the poles of the dock, they are cut-off midway as well. and the boat to far right, cut off rather awkwardly.

my 3rd issue is the contrast is just too much. good contrast is great, but you have bumped the contrast up so high that you have lost all your mid-tones.

so those are my critiques and suggestions. you should sit down and evaluate the shot yourself too. think back to the scene and maybe do a little memory search of how you can improve it. then at least you will have a tentative plan when you revisit. also, think about how the suggestions found in this and other threads on this forum can be generalized to other scenes as you are out shooting.

thanks,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:16 PM   #17

I kinda like the shot, but I would like to see the color version. The boats all seem to run together and the colors should help differentiate them from each other.

I really like the buildings in the background.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:32 PM   #18

I've given what simple and Mugmar wrote some thought about colour, and even though the meaning of this thread was to practice on B&W's I've adapted myself a little. The picture is now uncropped.

Thank you all for your advice.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:14 PM   #19

Too much visual information. Lines intercross, verticals, rope diagonals, roof diagonals, water horizontal, etc. No points of fugue to clarify the perspective. An so on. When simple talked about color, I guess he implied solid colors that could define subjects and give a sense of deepness and meaning.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:18 PM   #20

Making good B&W is really turning out to be quite a challange, so I really do appreciate your help.

This picture I took with a Nikon Coolpix 4300, P&S for those that don't know it, Desember last year in b&W.