Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:45 PM   #1
Default A tangled mess....

Looking through the bramble to a trout pond in the neighborhood.
These winter bare trees have a lot interesting artifacts, but its hard to capture them

Any ideas?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:48 AM   #2

Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
...Any ideas?
Not really. It's a mess (your words, not mine...!) whatever you do.
IMO you have two options:

- get a "bramble-cutter" of some sort (don't know what you call'em...?) and cut down the small, thin, spidery-ones on the lower right side, clear everthing except the bigger branches coming from above and shoot again,....or

- Increase your shutter speed to the highes you can, open up your aperture to the biggest opening and focus on the bramble. With a very short DOF, you would be able to get a halve-decent picture. But, if it would work as a merit-shot? Nobody knows....

Good luck anyway, nice try, the colors of the background and the pond are very good!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:00 PM   #3

I'm going to be interested to see what others think about how to improve this picture. I see two different pictures here - one the lake and the lovely reflection and the bare branches in the foreground being a separate picture. In my opinion the two pictures are not compatible (but I'm no expert). If you want the foreground branches to be the center of attention, then I agree with Walter - shoot with as large an aperture as possible so the beautiful reflections are out of focus. Or else take the picture of the pond and the reflections without the branches.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4

The branches are distracting to me. I would like to see some yellow grass on the front and the reflections and part of the trees then.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:11 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i think maybe shooting from a lower perspective would have allowed you to get under the brances, and get some nice golden grass foreground, plus the reflections of the trees on the water. even if you didnt get below all the branches, what would be remaining in the upper part could have helped to "frame" the scene.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:48 AM   #6

I agree with Hards80 on this one. The branches just seem to "mess" up the picture and I keep on wanting to brush them aside or as Walter_S writes, cut them. It might also help if you move to the left and down, having the branches on the upper right hand corner. Using the reflections of the trees on the water and shooting upwards would maybe make the picture work.

The colours are very nice.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:27 AM   #7

I think it's a great picture. The colors and temperature are very soothing. I think you've managed to turn some "tangled mess" into a very pleasing sight. I think it maybe one of those works of art where some will say, "Eh?", and some, "Ah..."

Last edited by vvcarpio; Dec 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Added last sentence after reading others' comments...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote