Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Default Reflections in the afternoon:

I'm not sure what to make out of this one. Something missing on the lower right side - besides the boring water? A couple of ducks or a swan in the right-hand foreground-corner would have made the difference - I guess...
I tried to crop, so the dark water would keep the balance of the picture and weigh down the lower right side a bit.

Does it work?

Close by where I live.

I had very little light to play with, as it was hazy and the sun had just gone down.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you know, the open water does not bother me on this shot. when i first saw this shot, the mood was that of serenity, and having the expanse of smooth as glass water worked with that overall mood.

i like the warm lighting on the rocks, i like the placement of them, they serve as a small lead in. which then leads us the dock and shed, place nicely on the right 1/3. the horizon placement on the top 1/3 is a nice and underutilized position. the reflections are great.

i think this shot works quite well. the hazy conditions gives it a serene, tranquil feel, and i rather like the composition as well. its actually one of my favorites you have posted here recently.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:55 PM   #3
Default reflections

I like this photo, the light does it for me.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:31 PM   #4

Buy no means am I any expert, but to my eye's this is a really beautiful photo, one I would be proud to have in a nice picture frame.
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:34 PM   #5

Very nice shot again Walter_S, sets a nice relaxing mood with this shot.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:58 PM   #6

Nice one. You make me wish to visit Norway.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:55 PM   #7

I see nothing wrong here, except I did not take this one Great shot. The lighting is perfect! The reflections are so perfect, the almost don't look real. It is a keeper
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:40 AM   #8

I really think that works, Walter! The nice water and the haze give it a really calm and peaceful touch, just like the beautiful lighted rocks, that lead you over the docks to this little utility shed.

This is one of my favourite from the loads of pics you've posted here, because of the really nice composition and specially the mood it conveys - I took a look in the dictionary to find the right word to describe it, but I think the word "tranquil", that Dustin mentioned, is the perfect one!

Maybe for you the water is boring because you're used to it, but for me it's really beautiful and nice too like at - thank you for sharing this shot
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:22 AM   #9

I'm glad everyone has said "don't change a thing" - I love the water and reflections and when I read your thoughts, I was wondering what I was missing. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who likes just as it is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:43 AM   #10

If there was a large pink flamingo standing in the corner it would certainly add a bit of interest to your photo, but since its not there I like it anyway. Well done Walter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote