Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:18 PM   #1
Default Moon going down in the morning

This was shot with my "beercan" @ f 4 , 1/8sec. No processing done.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:49 PM   #2

Moons always look better in real life.
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's certainly a different style moon shot which is refreshing (I did cringe when I saw a moon subject in critiques as they are all much of a muchness without serious glass).

There is a bit too much dead space bottom of the photo, and within that there is a lighter spot off to the left. I would look at losing some of the black and also painting out the spot. I also think the moon position is far too central, so off to one side would probably work better.

As a slight aside, I always wonder why no processing is mentioned. To me this is an essential part of the photographic work flow, it was in film and it is in digital. I'm not saying we need to go crazy, but the processing that takes place in the camera is affecting the original already and it generally doesn't set things exactly as we would like. I would say 99% of the time I play with levels/contrast/brightness in one form or another and then sharpen a shot once it is at its final size.

Like I say, a little aside to get peoples brains working pondering

Going back to the start, I really like the refreshing change to the traditional moon shot and hope you get a chance to shoot again and have a play around with it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote