Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Default Critiques on High School Basketball

Didn't know if it goes here or in sports, but since I want feedback, I guess here. Shot at a local colleges gym, a game between two high school teams. My first time with a 50mm 1.4. Not the best framing or action, granted, but this is the best of the bunch. EXIF should be included, but if not I'll post that. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and tips.

SoberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:26 AM   #2

You already addressed my critiques for it. In addition to the framing it looks a little out of focus. The lighting I don't think is bad which is really good for shooting in a gym.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:43 AM   #3

Everyone likes small dof for these shots to pull the player out of the picture, but you really have to hit it. With no time to waste. Looks like you just missed the focus on the face of the jumper. This link may give you an idea of how finely you need to focus:

And an example, i don't know how far away you were sitting so let's say 10 feet.
Attached Images
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:49 AM   #4

The likely cause for missed focus isn't a dof issue so much as it is a distance issue. Lenses have more focus issues as you approach infinity. By the framing I can tell this is mire than 10 feet. The issue is the OP is too far away for a 50mm lens to work well. Subject should fill about 3/4 of the vertical frame - this one is barely half. With a 50mm lens you can't shoot from the corner of the baseline you need to be right around the key. That will help with the focus. Of course that's when you run into the DOF issue - I suggest stopping down to 1.8 or 2.0.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote