Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:39 PM   #1
Default Oldie...

Love trains. Found place with lots of old / used and discarded ones. Will go and spend some time there soon.

Except the obvious error (time of day) for this shot what can be done to bring justice to this old beast.

By the way, I put E in the shot for a size reference. Good or bad?

Attached Images
mva2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well i think your use of a sepia tone fits the subject well. however, you have lost alot of contrast in the process. i suggest using a more subtle sepia toning that lets you keep more of the blacks, which will allow you to keep the contrast.

i like that picked an angle to the train rather than a boring side shot. but i think its a little tight. back up a bit, let us see the front of the train as well, maybe shoot from not quite so acute of angle. that will give the train a little more context and we can see a little more, while still being an interesting angle.

i would not include the person in the shot.

so, there are some things to work on, but i like the idea and the way you tried to capture it, shows you were thinking creatively. a good start, look forward to more.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3

I'll leave the technical stuff to people who know about it but my gut says you don't need the person in the picture.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote