Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:48 PM   #1
Default how do I do these winter shots successfully?

These are shots I took in 2003 with my Kodak DC4800. I know the night ones are not that great, and that's why I'm posting them, because I had a really great time out taking photos that night (it was like 3 am and so pretty) but it would be nice to have that fun AND get pictures that are good. So I'm not really looking for a critique so much as advice to help me with future attempts

What's the trick to doing this kind of shot successfully? Aside from bringing along a tripod, I mean, which is a given. I was just out on an impulse, couldn't sleep so I grabbed my camera and went for a walk. Is it just a matter of a solid tripod and a bit longer exposure? The first was one second with no flash, the second was a snap taken with flash.

The third one was a daytime shot and it's an entirely different question - is there a good setting to use when taking snowy pictures so as to avoid having the snow look washed out? I'm expecting lots of opportunity for winter photos this year so your advice is appreciated
Attached Images
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:28 PM   #2

You can play with EV for correct exposure.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:44 PM   #3

the days ones bracket your exposers but the night ones look like the wrong colour temp
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:14 PM   #4

im not mentally ready for winter photos yet, lol. give me 3 more months.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:54 PM   #5

I'd say your making a good start.

I like the exposure compensation suggestion.

The other thing is to control your backgrounds.

Shoot with a wide open aperture (if your camera supports aperture priority) so you can keep in focus what you want, and blur the background.

A big mistake among beginners is not controlling the background (ie. your in the park and it's a beautiful shot but you can see the garbage can in the background - WHO PUT THAT IN MY PHOTO???).

The other thing you might want to ask yourself is, "what makes a good shot?"

Study other photographers, and find out what they are doing. If you like the shot, figure out what they did to make the shot likeable.

Good photographers do not create good photos by accident (well sometimes they do). They are using "rule of thirds", using foreground, mid-ground and backgrounds to create depth, and yada yada yada.

If you see any photos you like, feel free to ask on this forum "what went through your head to create that shot?".

Most photographers would be pleased as punch to have that question asked.

The lousy photographers answer "I don't know, I thought it would make a good shot!".

The good ones say "I thought there was the possibility of a good photo. The subject was good, lighting was good, and there was the possibility of other photographic elements I could bring into the shot that would make it great".

Those "other photographic elements" are what separate the amateur happy snappers and the serious amateurs and professionals.

I know I'm sounding like a bit of a snob (my stuff is pretty okay but there are plenty of pro's here that make my photography look rank in comparison) but part of the fun of photography is getting better, setting goals, and getting feedback from people. When you start getting a few "oohs" and "aahs" then you know, grasshopper, you're on your way!
TerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:24 PM   #6

Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
im not mentally ready for winter photos yet, lol. give me 3 more months.
Uh, it's October, you'll be lucky to get 6 weeks.

Your daytime shot is about as good as it gets with snow - there isn't a lot of detail in the highlights anyway. The only thing really wrong with the photo is the excess of branches which distracts from a nice snowscape.
Night shots can be difficult due to the orange light from the sodium vapor lamps. If you could set a custom white balance, it would help.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote