Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:38 AM   #1

Default 500mm Relex lens: pros and cons.

My 500mm f8 reflex lens, made by LZOS in the former USSR is a fantastic piece of optics. It's pros are: extreme sharpness, no C.A., Length(5.5"), weight(20 oz.), and focus range of 4 meters to infinity. It's one con is the horrible bokeh that it produces when the background contains any hotspots. These hotspots result in out of focus donuts. The fact that it is a totally manual lens may also be considered a con by some, although I consider it a challange.

The attached image is a non-postprocessed 100% crop that provides both the pros and cons.
Attached Images

100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
1.4X Promaster Spectrum Teleconverter
506mm Pentax PF80-ED spotting Scope(digiscoper)

Last edited by Streets; Oct 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:48 PM   #2

I've considered Mirror lenses, but I'm still not convinced that they are worth the money.
The donut bokeh bugs me.

I also understand they have a very narrow depth of field and I'm unsure how good the picture sharpness is, compared to more conventional super telephotos.

I admit I've never used one and in my town, despite a number of really good camera stores....not one carries a mirror lens to try out....or even sell.

The jury is out, although I would like a super telephoto....500mm + to photograph birds and wildlife.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:38 AM   #3

I dont mind the so caled bokeh of mirror lenses in the right circumstances. In othe circumstances they can be bothersome. To me its sorta like a portrait against pure white. Sometimes its ok for me sometimes not. Now some folks love the on white portraits and some dont. Same with the mirror lenses...........if you do you do , if you dont you dont.........I'm not goin to knocki someone who loves them or hates them. Shoot your photos and create your art! No need to appologize for it! For goodness sake look at Jackson Pollack! In my opinion any kindergarten child could do as well but there are those who are awe inspired by his work!!!!!!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:43 AM   #4

Interesting demo shot. It appears to be sharper in the upper right corner. I would guess that that is where the focus was. Does your camera give you a focus lock indication with a manual focus lens like that, or do you do it strictly by eye? Definitely sharp for a mirror lens.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:29 PM   #5

Brian, there is no Mirror Lock and all focusing is done by eye. The depth of field does seem more critical than most conventional long telephotos.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
1.4X Promaster Spectrum Teleconverter
506mm Pentax PF80-ED spotting Scope(digiscoper)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote